Lovin' Barber pedals.. amp questions...

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Lovin' Barber pedals.. amp questions...

Postby chptunes » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 am

I'm still loving my Tone Press, and I just bought a LTD-SR last week.. great stuff.

My amp [see sig.] is a Class A, EL84 based amp.. with only one preamp tube [which can be any 12A__ type]. Sounds great dry.. and pretty nice with the Barbers.. but, I think I want something.. different. An amp that will accept the Barbers with a wide bandwidth and plenty of headroom. For Instance, maybe a handwired AC30/AC15 clone, or a JTM45 clone. I want a nice big platform for my guitar, the Barbers, and my 2x12 Tone Tubby cabinet.

Can anyone suggest an amp like this, that works well

Thanks,

Corey
Guitar: USACG - Telecaster
Instrument Cable: George L's - .225
Pedal Device(s): Barber - LTD (SR)
Amplifier: Custom "one-off" Class A head (Tweed Deluxe'ish, but with EL84's)
Spkr Cable: CBI - 14 gauge
Spkr Cabinet: Tone Tubby - 2x12 AlNiCo
chptunes

Re: Lovin' Barber pedals.. amp questions...

Postby Jules-RM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:09 am

I love my American made Crate V3112 (long discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay). They make a head version as well [V30H], also discontinued - one's on Ebay right now. Some versions even have the Tone Tubby speaker in it - mine currently has the Celestion, waiting on my Weber Blue Dog. It's a EL84 amp, 3 preamp tubes. Goes great with all Barber pedals.

I bought it because someone else said it's very Vox-ish. After having played a AC30HH, I prefer the Crate.
Jules-RM

Postby hobbyist789 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 pm

I'd maybe look for something 6V6/6L6 or EL34 based, since you've already got an EL84 amp. Just for some variety. The JTM45 could be a nice addition in head-format.

The thing about a higher-wattage (40~50 W) amp is that you'll mostly be using it in it's "clean" zone, and relying upon the pedals for overdrive (if that's what you want). I like that idea because if you want a little more/less volume, you just use the amp's volume and your pedal-tone stays more-or-less the same. The other school of thought (low power amp, and crank it) is great, too, but it sounds like you've already got that covered.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby chptunes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 pm

..thanks for the great suggestions/advice.. exactly the kind of stuff that I was looking for...

I figure the Barber Echelon would be a great candidate, if it were still in production.. but, it'd probably be out of my price-range...

..everyone else, feel free to 'weigh-in'...

-Corey
Guitar: USACG - Telecaster
Instrument Cable: George L's - .225
Pedal Device(s): Barber - LTD (SR)
Amplifier: Custom "one-off" Class A head (Tweed Deluxe'ish, but with EL84's)
Spkr Cable: CBI - 14 gauge
Spkr Cabinet: Tone Tubby - 2x12 AlNiCo
chptunes

Return to Barber pedals