higher gain pedals

Discuss standard production effect pedals

higher gain pedals

Postby v2 saatana » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:05 pm

I recently saw a clip on youtube of the Super Sport and Dirty Bomb that showed off some higher gain sounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_w0xhl6V4o

I was surprised by the amount of gain of the SS. I am not sure if the amp was set clean or dirty. I'd like to find a pedal with a reasonable amount of high gain (to complement my LTD v2), but I want to have a more "vintage" distortion sound and avoid the buzzsaw territory. I liked the SS in the clip, but if some of the gain was from the amp, then maybe I'd go for a DD with mod board (for higher gain setting). Any tips?
v2 saatana

Re: higher gain pedals

Postby Jules-RM » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am

What guitars and amps are you using?
Jules-RM

Postby plan-x » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:46 pm

That video suprised me also. The drive was set at 10:00, producing quite a bit of gain. YMMV. I don't recall getting that sound at 10:00 on my DD. I use the gain switch on my mod board and leave it on all the time. My DD pc/mod is my dedicated high gainer for vintage/classic/high gain tone. My drive is set at 3:00-4:00 and vol a little over unity. Talk about a commanding lead :o The added gain isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to push it over the top. Besides that, the other features of the mod board are neccesary for sculpting my tone. I couldn't quite get there with a stock DD. The way I see it, why settle for less. I already love the Barber tone....max it out!
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby v2 saatana » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:53 pm

Jules-RM wrote:What guitars and amps are you using?

I use a late 90s Schecter Traditional (strat) with the stock Anderson-designed single coils and currently also a ESP Ltd with humbuckers. I'm currently without an amp, but I bought a parts kit for a deluxe-style amp called an Allen Accomplice. I have been playing at home through my mac for 6 months... :(

I'll create a sig with a list of gear once I finish building my amp. Thanks for replying even though I didn't list my gear.
Last edited by v2 saatana on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
v2 saatana

Postby v2 saatana » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:58 pm

plan-x wrote:That video suprised me also. The drive was set at 10:00, producing quite a bit of gain. YMMV. I don't recall getting that sound at 10:00 on my DD. I use the gain switch on my mod board and leave it on all the time. My DD pc/mod is my dedicated high gainer for vintage/classic/high gain tone. My drive is set at 3:00-4:00 and vol a little over unity. Talk about a commanding lead :o The added gain isn't a whole lot, but it's enough to push it over the top. Besides that, the other features of the mod board are neccesary for sculpting my tone. I couldn't quite get there with a stock DD. The way I see it, why settle for less. I already love the Barber tone....max it out!

Am I correct in assuming the SS is essentially a DD with mod board, but without the gain switch? I think the gain switch would be pretty important for me.
v2 saatana

Postby plan-x » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 am

The mod board has more things besides gain. Note shape, asymmetry 1 & 2 and a fizz filter.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Return to Barber pedals