Please Help Me Configure These Pedals

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Please Help Me Configure These Pedals

Postby Hugh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 am

(the 2 Danos and the DOD are going to be left off the board)

I like the"amp cooking" application of the Launch Pad, but I'm open to suggestions on how to route these pedals. Ignore the chorus pedal, it may also be coming off the board. Just the Barber's are what I'm looking for suggestions on.

Just some info that may help..
I'll be using the pedals with an Epiphone Valve Jr head. Only mod to the head is the jumper labeled JP1 has been clipped, which brightens the amp up.(not ice pick bright) Eminence speaker in the Epi VJ cab has been replaced w/a '59 alnico 12" I pulled from a "59 RCA console phonograph. Also put a Motorola 12AX7 and an RCA 6BQ5 in it, again, pulled from old consoles.

I play and write mostly alt-country stuff, and will be using a strat with super low output pups as my main guitar. (4.3 k, 4.3 k,5.0 k)

So, assuming I won't be using a loop box, how would you line them up ? I know I can switch them around and see what I like, but I'd like to ask for suggestions as a starting point.

Oh, also, if I use a volume pedal, where should it go ? Before the pedal board or somewhere in the middle ?

tia
Hugh

Re: Please Help Me Configure These Pedals

Postby hobbyist789 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:11 am

I would suggest:

Guitar --> Tone Press --> Direct Drive LG --> Barb E.Q. --> Chorus --> Launch Pad --> Amp

Though you could maybe move around the Barb E.Q. to your liking. (If you add the volume pedal, put it between the Tone Press and the DD-LG.)

Here's two good write-ups on pedal order:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Articles/Avoiding_GAS/Part-6.html
http://www.robertkeeley.com/faq.php#Effect%20Order (2nd from last paragraph on the page)
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby mjcyates » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree with the above except for I place my volume pedal after overdrives and before delay. I know you don't have a delay so that part is not important. I like it after the overdrives so it doesn't alter the gain structure, just the volume level. I like it before delay so it doesn't shut off the repeats of the delay.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby Hugh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 am

I had tried the Barb E.Q. both before and after the Tone Press, and did find I liked it after the Tone Press. I'll line them up as you both suggest,
Guitar --> Tone Press --> Direct Drive LG --> Barb E.Q. --> Chorus --> Launch Pad --> Amp

I'll move the volume pedal around and sort it out.

Thanks for the straight forward answers. It's stunning how well the Barb E.Q. wakes this Epi head up. I've had the DD LG and the LP for a few months, and while they certainly made the amp sound better, I was masking the benefit of the Barber boxes with the cheesy import pedals tone suck/coloring, And of course the LP was amplifying it.

Anyhow, I just got the Tone Press and Barb E.Q. the day before I posted the OP, and hadn't tried them yet. After checking them out tonight, I'm very pleased. The Barb E.Q. has knocked the Launch Pad off it's perch as my fav pedal. It's like 4 different amps, bypass and the 3 way toggle. Heck, like 7 counting the mids control pulled up. Nuts how it makes the Epi sound like it's heavily modded lol. Love it.

Thanks again, I'm off to make my jumpers and tidy things up bottom side.
Squier CV 50's upgraded with Callaham, Klein, CTS, and Switchcraft parts.
Barber Launch Pad- Dirty Bomb - Barb E.Q.-Tone Press- MXR Carbon Copy
Sano Combo Amp c.1960 or so (2 x EL34)

Crate CA 60D amp
Gibson J 150 acoustic
Hugh

Postby DreamTheaterRules » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 pm

I'd also recommend 1) Chorus before Barb EQ and 2) experiment with chorus before DDLG. Chorus sounds different if you put it in front of your od vs. behind it. Try it both ways and see which way you like it best.
PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 22 LTD Semi Hollow, new PRS Custom24. PRS Custom 22, EBMM JP12, 50th Anniversary Am/Dlx Strat, Peavey Wolfgang, Ibanez JS 1000 + 79 Artist, Carvin Bolt T (Gibson, Taylor Acoustics)
PRS 2 Channel Custom 50, PRS 2 Channel H, Mesa Boogie Mark V25, Mesa TA 15, Mesa Mini Rectifier, Barber LP, LTDv2, CTP, Fulltone pedals.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4876/singles
DreamTheaterRules

Postby Hugh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:39 am

DreamTheaterRules wrote:I'd also recommend 1) Chorus before Barb EQ and 2) experiment with chorus before DDLG. Chorus sounds different if you put it in front of your od vs. behind it. Try it both ways and see which way you like it best.

:!:
That sounds interesting. I may try that and run the other output from the chorus to a second amp as well. I could even move the LP over to that out and run parallel channels on the Sano.
Squier CV 50's upgraded with Callaham, Klein, CTS, and Switchcraft parts.
Barber Launch Pad- Dirty Bomb - Barb E.Q.-Tone Press- MXR Carbon Copy
Sano Combo Amp c.1960 or so (2 x EL34)

Crate CA 60D amp
Gibson J 150 acoustic
Hugh

Return to Barber pedals