Marshall neo-classical sound

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Marshall neo-classical sound

Postby shredmaestrobri » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi guys, which Barber pedal for this genre would you recommend? I have the DB but it's more Mesa to my ears. I'm looking at a Barber Pedal that can do the marshall high gain sound. Any other Barber pedal that can do that or at least match the high gain settings of the Wampler Super Plextortion at high gain marshall type sounds?
Check out my Barber Dirty Bomb clips here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195
shredmaestrobri

Re: Marshall neo-classical sound

Postby Guitarbque » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Have you tried a DDSS ? Very 'Marshall' - imo -
I have an older version (2003) Amazing tone from this unit-
The B-Custom Super Sport is a major winner as well.

Sometimes I stack my DDSS w/ the Small Fry for added sustain w/ good results.
You're on the right track....with Barber !!! - 8-)
Barber Small Fry & DDSS (90's model), T.C. Poly Tune, Morrley A-B-Y, Malekko Omicron Phase, Vox Time machine delay, Delta Lap Chorus, BBE Boosta Grande (old version), Vox wah, Marshall Plexi 1987 x 50 watt head, Marshall 1936 2 x 12 cab, Marshall Class 5, Marshall 1 x 12 cabs, Mod Tele's and vintage Lap Steel's.
Guitarbque

Postby plan-x » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Any DD will get you there, but they don't have the gain that the DB has. I wanted the gain of the DB, more so than the recto sound. So I did the Barber "cap mod" to the DB to move it toward a more classical tone for those over the top aggressive scorching lead/rhythm sounds. It worked and now all's good. But a DD is the quintessential, med gain, classic sound that'll cut the mix.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd say B-Custom SuperSport. It's very British-sounding, therefore the Marshall sound, but can be dialed-in for some really articulate detail if you so desire. Which, I feel, is what the neo-classical sound is all about.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby gonzo-x » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:30 am

i use a DDSS in conjunction with a vintage mark2b boogie.

the DD gives it just enough edge and grit, to move it away from the 'too smooth' boogie grind.
it's a perfect combination to me.
i can run the boogie cleaner, and put more DD into it, to get more marshally, or i can run the boogie high gain, and use the DDSS to tighten it up, similar to a screamer...... only, with the internal trims, i can personalize the way it 'tightens' to the tone i want.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Return to Barber pedals