Chip swap for a Tone Pump?

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Chip swap for a Tone Pump?

Postby bigal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:46 pm

Has anyone tried different ICs in their Tone Pump? Care to share any insights?

Thanks!
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Re: Chip swap for a Tone Pump?

Postby plan-x » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

I liked a stacked 4558.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby bigal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:00 am

Interesting- what kind of effect does that have?

I tried some different chips in my DD a few years back but never did the chip stacking thing. I remember liking a Burr Brown chip (2604 I think?) in the DD. If I remember right it was a little clearer and had bigger bass response. I ended up going back to the stock chip but it was fun to experiment a little without doing any damage to the pedal!

btw, is there a sonic difference between the 4558D and 4558P chips?
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby plan-x » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:54 pm

The 4558 stacked I made would give it a little more girth, bottom, fullness. The stacked chip would do more for this pedal than all the chips I tried. But I'm not sure about the Burr Brown OPA2134, that chip also has a noticable change above all chips. I don't know if there is a difference in the "D" or "P" designation on the 4558's sound. I read yes and I've read no. :?
Plan-x

Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

plan-x

Postby hamerman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:27 pm

I have two DD (mod board and standard). One always has a Burr-Brown in it for a more hi-fi overdrive. I particularly like it in the mod board DD. The other will have the stock chip or one of the common subs. The LM833 is a nice choice, but the stock chip is great too.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Postby bigal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Cool. I'll have to get an LM833 and give that a shot. I have a few other chips around here that I'll toy with.

Plan X- to stack chips do you just solder one chip on top of the other?
bigal

Postby plan-x » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:44 am

Yes, but be careful not to fry the chips. Quickly, without overheating them. They will still work with heating damage, and sound crappy. You can buy em too from somewhere. David use to sell em.
Plan-x

plan-x

Return to Barber pedals