Dual Channel unLimiTeD observations

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Dual Channel unLimiTeD observations

Postby Spud » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 pm

I just received my Dual Channel unLimiTeD from my friendly UPS man, and spent an hour putting it through its paces. I thought I share my initial observations.

First of all, like all Barber pedals, this thing is built like a tank. Heavy duty case, pots and switches operate smoothly, nice color and logo graphics. My only complaint is the battery holder. It took me a while to get the 9v connected and secured. It’s probably just me, but I didn’t realize the holder swings out to allow access. Furthermore, if you don’t angle the battery in, contacts first, then snap the battery into the holder, it won’t attach to the terminals. Also, the Energizer lithium 9v I use in my other Barber pedals has a truly square case (no rounded edges) and won’t fit in the battery clip. I suggest Barber use a Velcro strap rather than the metal clip to hold the battery in place.

As for the most important part; the sound… This pedal is awesome (is anybody surprised?). I had concerns since I have an LTD SR (which is amazing, btw), that the unLimiTeD might be too close sonically and therefore redundant on my pedalboard.

Wrong! The unLimiTeD has so much more gain on tap, that it serves a very different purpose. While I use the LTD SR to push my amp a bit harder and add that “just on the verge of breaking up” singing tone, the unLimiTeD adds the complex overdrive harmonics for blazing lead work. I’ve read that the unLimiTeD is classified as a mid-gain pedal, but with the gain control at 3 o’clock, this thing screams.

While I was surprised as to how much gain was available, the pedal never sounds shrill or buzzy like some other higher gain pedals I’ve used in the past. The tone just gets more complex with more sustain as you crank the dial.

I played with the tone and midrange controls a bit, but for me, the suggestions on the instruction sheet seemed to be the best settings: 9 o’clock on the midrange and 11:30 on the tone sounded best to me (at least in my living room). I’m looking forward to giving it a full workout, and tweaking the settings, at my next band practice. If I have any further revelations, I’ll update my post.
PRS Custom-22 (57/08's) -> Barber Tone Press -> Barber LTD SR -> Barber unLimiTeD -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Spud

Re: Dual Channel unLimiTeD observations

Postby plan-x » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks dude for the first review. I plan on using it for a slightly beyond edgy rhythm in one ch and a balls out, on the other ch. What can I say....I'm a rocker!
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Andy cowman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:02 am

Cheers spud
This. Sounds absolutely ideal. Exactly what Im after.
Tom Anderson hollow t classic,
Laney lc15 tube amp
Barber tone press with b-buff
Barber ddlg
Barber 1/2 gainer
B-Custom super sport
Barber duel unlimited. ( on the list!)
Mxr micro chorus

Elixir cables
Andy cowman

Postby hamerman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:26 pm

Did you find that the two channels were way different? I just got to check mine out (it showed up in good time, but work got in the way), and the red channel (#2) is more like an LTD SR, while the green (#1) has the high gain touted for the UnLimiTed. I expected that the two channels would be the same like the Burn Unit, but I like that they are different.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Postby plan-x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 am

Really?
Plan-x

Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

plan-x

Postby hamerman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:04 am

Yes. I A/B'ed it with my first run LTD SR, and the red channel is close but with even less midrange, and the green channel has got the gain level of a DD. Not the sound of the DD, but the gain. Very smooth and saturated. Of course I immediately lost the manual in some paper, but I'll track it down shortly. Maybe I can get Dave to email me a copy.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Postby Sonnyblu42 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 pm

I have yet to tweak the trim pots.... but I got it on the board and it's great. I use pretty much the same setting as you see... from the 1/2 Gainer, it's just more gain.
I need to get the trim pots set... I get if anything a throatier sound with the 1/2 Gainer right now... and I had tweaked it. So I will just open them up and set them the same!

Oh and mixing them is very cool.... both the left (green) channels... great! Higher gain not as fuzzy... I'm happy!
The OCD is replaced... another reason I did this was... The OCD sounded so thin compared to the 1/2 Gainer. Now they are the same. (Phatness that is! FAT PHAT FAT!)

I am running them at 18 volts... I can't really tell a difference. But... With the original LTD it was night and Day. FB3 sounds real good with them also.

I love Barber pedals!
Attachments
New Board Small.jpg
New Board Small.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 13216 times
Barber Half Gainer, LTD SR, Dual Unlimited, Small Fry, incredible!

Marshall JTM45, Marshall 50 watt Plexi, PRS DGT
WGS Green Beret, Invader and Retro 30 spkrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxeFob2g0lw
Sonnyblu42

Postby hamerman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Did you find the gain differences in the two channels like I did? I didn't seem to remember that as a feature, and was quite surprised when I switched channels.
hamerman

Postby plan-x » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that the 2 ch's were identical. Anyone else?
Plan-x

plan-x

Postby Spud » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

I thought the two channels were identical as well, each just having their own volume and gain controls.
PRS Custom-22 (57/08's) -> Barber Tone Press -> Barber LTD SR -> Barber unLimiTeD -> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Spud

Next

Return to Barber pedals