Amps + Barbers, different combinations, etc.

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Amps + Barbers, different combinations, etc.

Postby djw » Tue May 17, 2011 12:11 am

So I just noticed something kind of interesting today. Actually, reaffirmed an observation I'd already made, is more accurate to say (though obviously I'm not the first to observe this, just saying...).

I use my Direct Drive LG as a sort of dirty clean boost, which works great for that thru my Mesa Lone Star Classic. I also use an Egnater Tweaker in grab-and-go situations, and today I was fiddling around with it and noticed that the DDLG sounds totally different going into my Tweaker. Like, totally different. Like, with the LSC the DDLG is really almost like a clean boost -- some harmonics and grinding overtones, but mostly pretty smooth, power-tube style OD. With the Tweaker and the same exact settings, it sounds like a straight-up hot-rodded Marshall set to kill.

I'm pretty shocked, to be honest. I know certain pedals sound different with different amps, but this is the most profound difference I have ever heard. I've had great results with my OCD going into my DR, but not so much into my Mesa; similarly, my LTD sounds just fine through my Mesa, but seems to really sing through my Marshall. Even so, in each case the pedals sounded basically like themselves... in this case, my DDLG sounded like a completely different pedal.

Has anyone else experience this level of variety in terms of pedal > amp tonal response? Any favorite combinations that surprised you?
Gibsons (LP, LP Special, SG Std, 335), Fenders (Teles & Strats)
Mesas (LSC, LSS, ElectraDyne, MiniRec, TA15), Fenders (BFDR, PRRI), Marshalls (2204, DSL40c)
2xCDD, 2xGC, LTD, SR, SR+, DD, LG, 2xDDSS, DDDC, BUSS, GCX, LG>SR Dual Discrete, Trifecta, Small Fry, Tone Press, CTP
19 Barber pedals total
http://www.damonwood.com
Sounds | Gear
djw

Re: Amps + Barbers, different combinations, etc.

Postby plan-x » Tue May 17, 2011 7:34 pm

:? That phenom doesn't happen with my amps. As a MOF (hmmm, that acronym just looks wrong) my old LTD V1 was so consistant that it even sounded good thru an old solid state amp I have. While other brands of pedals would sound like crap through that amp. Now there's a good test, who ever's even got a solid state amp.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Re: Amps + Barbers, different combinations, etc.

Postby MullyFX » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

I once had a BOSS OD-1 which sounded quite mid heavy and dark through my amp....
almost similar to a TS808 (although I prefered the TS808 so I sold the OD-1)

and then I tried it on a silverface champ (not my amp.. it belonged to the guy I sold it to)
the tubescreamer still sounded like a tubescreamer but the OD-1 just roared.... sounded like a JCM800 on steroids...

but in my case I guess that's just due to the fact that the champ has a way more scooped sound then my amp has (well that's why I got the Barb EQ in the end)
and the 8inch speaker sure has lots to do with it....
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Return to Barber pedals