Dirty Bomb versatility- impressive

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Dirty Bomb versatility- impressive

Postby bigal » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

I've got to come out and just say it- the Dirty Bomb deserves more attention for its versatility. I play in a lot of hourly rehearsal studios where you are at the mercy of the gear provided in the room. Solid state, tube, tweed, blackface, marshall, matchless, bogner, mesa, bruno, combos, half stacks, etc.... I haven't found a single amp that the DB doesn't play well with. The toggle switch is just so useful. The EQ controls are perfect.

I get that it's a high gain pedal so people will naturally think of it as a metal pedal, but it is a fantastic rock pedal. I think there is plenty of Zep to be had in that box!

Quick story- I lent the Dirty Bomb and DD w/ mod board to a friend doing some session work on a rock-ish song. He's primarily a guitar->amp blues and country player but he was looking for something "marshall-sounding" for this one track so I naturally suggested the DD and then gave him the DB just to have a different flavor. He plugged into the Dirty Bomb first because he liked the name and never bothered plugging into the DD- it was perfect. My buddy just kept singing the praises of the Dirty Bomb for its versatility and rock tone. This was real surprising coming from someone who is very much a purist.

Anyway, of the 7 Barber dirt pedals I've owned, the Dirty Bomb has been the biggest surprise. Well done, again!
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Re: Dirty Bomb versatility- impressive

Postby plan-x » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:12 am

You're damn straight! ;)
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby bigal » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:50 pm

of course the first thing in bold on the Dirty Bomb description is "extremely versatile," so maybe I just stated common knowledge! But lord knows product descriptions don't always match up with players' experience.

Might we be seeing tonestack and toggle setup as a platform for future Barber goodness?
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby Jules-RM » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Oh yeah. This is the second time I've had one, first time I didn't really know what I was doing.

It sounds so good with an AC30 - vol to taste, treble 10 o'clock, bass 2o'clock, gain about 9o'clock - switch in the middle. At 9v - I tried it at 18v, but it didn't sound as good.

I A/B'ed it with a Riot, then a Lunar Module - blew both out of the water with what it can do. I almost gave up on that amp due to not finding a decent high-ish gain sound. But the DB is perfect.

It almost impresses me more than my old LTD SR. Almost.
Jules-RM

Return to Barber pedals