Barber Dual Channel Pedal Appreciation

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Barber Dual Channel Pedal Appreciation

Postby 78deluxe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 am

I just wanted to voice my appreciation for Barber's dual channel pedals.

Not only do they sound amazing, they are a fantastic value (thanks Dave for "musician friendly" pricing)

I'm a proud owner of a Half-Gainer, Dual Unlimited, Burn Unit EQ, (and a Small Fry).

The ability to switch between two channels with different Vol/Gain is perfect for live use. I much prefer this concept to "stacking" which typically results in a muddier/less transparent sound. Thus Barbers Dual Channel pedals really stand out to me as a pinnacle of design and function.

On the Half-Gainer and Dual Unlimited I absolutely LOVE the Mids control. I've never encountered another pedal where the entire mid control is usable. Truly a masterpiece of design. The mids control is more of a lower mids to my ear which creates a string fattening effect (opposed to a Tube Screamer like mid hump), this can really thicken things up if you want it (but it also adjust other aspects of the eq to make the whole range usable, remarkable!). The clarity and transparency of both of these pedals is outstanding, very amp-like and full.

The Burn Unit EQ is quite versatile (not as versatile as the Small Fry in tone, as it lacks the clipping switch and note shape controls), and the Burn/Gain control is usable from Clean boost up to High Gain, which isn't common among most pedals from my experience. On the Burn Units, the Dynamics knob (compression) really set the pedal apart from many other makers' designs. The compression is transparent in that it doesn't cause the pumping/pop/attack effect of say a Dyna Comp/Ross compressor. The internal controls are also very useful to getting the EQ voice you want out of the pedal. It would be nice if the Burn Unit EQ had the additional Small Fry controls, but it is still very versatile as it is (that's more wishful thinking).

The Half-Gainer is probably my favorite both tonally and aesthetically. Nice transparent "vintage" voiced drive....and quite possibly my favorite paint job on any pedal. Love the Art Deco style and texture of the pedal. Truly a work of art. I'm a proud owner.

The Dual Unlimited is beautiful as well, the speckling adds to the art work, much like the Small Fry. Love this transparent pedal, even if Barber made this an "unlimited" run (no pun intended), it would still be special. It is probably the most clear and transparent mid-gain pedal I've played. The voice is a little more "modern and aggressive" than the LTD/Half-Gainer, but fits a great spot where the LTD leaves off. This is to say, I don't find it redundant to have both.

Now the Burn Unit EQ isn't my taste aesthetically, but it sure does sound great! Smooth Overdrive

The build quality is as good as it gets. I've had "Boutique" pedals that cost even more, but were not even built to the same standards. And I love that the entire gain range is usable on all of these pedals. Many other builders have a sweet spot you have to find (and hope that matches the guitar and amp combo/settings you are putting it into).
Gibson SG, Les Paul Deluxe, Turbo Tuner > BYOC Opto Comp > Micro Pog > Micro Vibe > Half-Gainer > Dual Unlimited > Burn Unit EQ > EH Freeze > Chubacrabra > King of Tone > Box of Rock > Ethos Overdrive > Empress Tremolo > Boss DD-20 > Hardwire RV-7 reverb > JamMan > Radial JDI MK4 (Small Fry, BYOC Triangles, ESV Fuzz, PODHD) Lava Soar and EA Lyric HG
78deluxe

Re: Barber Dual Channel Pedal Appreciation

Postby southpaw pete » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 am

Yeah, I am loving the Half Gainer as well. It just blows me away with the variety of tones I can dial in on there!
Last edited by southpaw pete on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedalboard: Visual Sound Liquid Chorus > Barber Half Gainer or Barber LTD > Barber Direct Drive > Fulltone Supa Trem > Sansamp Liverpool > Boss DD7 + tap > Boss RV5 > Boss TU2 >
Primary Guitars: Godin Exit 22, Guild JF30
southpaw pete

Postby jerrydog » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:07 pm

(first post here!)
i am compelled to agree about LOVING the mids control.
i got a dual unlimited on a whim (after having sworn off OD's all together)- and i'm in awe well past the honeymoon phase. i've never been able to change that characteristic of my tone before. now that i can, it makes me wonder how many OD's i would have kept around if i could have tweaked them this way!

for me - the mids control makes the pedal something truly special. i knew pretty much immediately that i would end up a 1/2 gainer. (and i've got one in the mail!)
H-H Strats (All SD's - AP2/PGb; PGn/CCb; Phatcats) --> AM TS9 silver/Dual Unlimited/Tone Press --> Carr Mercury
In the mail - DD PCB mod, 1/2 Gainer, Small Fry
I tinker in the basement whilst the children sleep.
currently no clips which are not completely embarrassing.
in to rock/blues/good country. learning to play without a pick. fingers much faster than my brain.
jerrydog

Postby ohsojayadeva » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 am

I've been using the Burn Unit EQ for a little over a year, and just picked up a Half-Gainer last month. I am blown away by how much I love the sound of the Half-Gainer. I have never considered myself to be a "low-gain OD" type of guy so this pedal definitely represents a paradigm shift in my tone. I love the ability to have two sets of drive sounds in each pedal, and I'm considering getting a dual loop switcher so I can have 4 different levels of Barber Gain available with relatively few taps.
Fender Telecasters->Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom->Korg Pitchblack->Boss MT2 (taiwan)->Barber Electronics Half-Gainer->Barber Electronics Burn Unit EQ->DIY Jack Orman muAmp->DIY Boss CE2 Clone->MXR EVH Phaser->MXR Carbon Copy->Boss DD3->Vox AC15
http://www.oh-so.net/
http://www.jayadeva-kirtan.com/
http://www.twitter.com/ohsojayadeva
ohsojayadeva

Return to Barber pedals