taking the Barber arsenal into the studio

Discuss standard production effect pedals

taking the Barber arsenal into the studio

Postby bigal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm bringing a pretty serious Barber arsenal into the studio this weekend for a quick one-day session. The songs are pretty straight forward rock songs with elements of garage rock and goth seeping in (if there's an avenue that connects Iggy with Joy Division, we live on it.) While plans often go right out the window when you get in to the studio, my plan is to run my tele and Barb EQ, into a Clark Beufort Spec., a bit of delay and few flavors of drive (DD w/ mod board and Trifecta will very likely get the call). Our other guitar player uses my Dirty Bomb. The Tone Press and Launch Pad will also be on hand. Whatever comes out, Barber will play a prominent role! But this leaves me with a touch of insecurity- if something sounds bad, it's on me- it's definitely not the gear!

Anyway, I'll be sure to share if anything somes out of this worth sharing. With all the sound clips out there without any band context surrounding them, it might be useful to hear what this stuff sounds like in the hands of an average player in a band.
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Re: taking the Barber arsenal into the studio

Postby ringmod » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Sounds awesome. How did it turn out??
ringmod

Postby bigal » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:04 pm

Half of us thought things sounded good and half disagreed so we've been delayed a little bit. Part of the delay is because one bandmate decided he really wanted to do the mixing- that was not the plan going in. Now he's obsessing over his parts so we're just letting him do his thing. That said, the Barb EQ, Tone Press, Direct Drive, Dirty Bomb and Tone Pump all got some good use.
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby Ronni » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 am

That's never good when one guy is doing that.. hope it comes out ok.

Always tracking with our units and not only on gtr.. plenty on bass,Wurli,rhodes ,keys.
And have used them on the mix stage in the past.
G&L Legacy Special, PRS SE soapbar II, beefed up PV Classic50 4X10, Barber pedals, Budda Wah , Line6 green/blue F/X.
Then a bunch of studio stuff.
Tunes: http://www.bigbangaudio.com//MP3/johnnylaw_tunes/JL_covers.html

http://www.barberelectronics.com

http://www.myspace.com/bigbangstudios
Ronni

Postby bigal » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Well this is long overdue. This ended up being a completely DIY thing and here's what we ended up with. Lots of Direct Drive, Dirty Bomb and Tone Press on these. I ended up using a PRS SE Soapbar II through a Rivera Quiana. I'd probably point you to the tracks A Safe Place to Disappear and A Little Damage, but they are all there. https://soundcloud.com/thecutupcult/sets/salem-2
bigal

Postby Jules-RM » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 am

Good luck, I find it's usually best to have someone outside the group doing the mixing/production. Many a group has split up over disagreements over recordings.

Sounds pretty good. If you like Iggy Pop and Joy Division check out Specimen. Not very well known outside Goth Club circles. "Dead Man's Autochop" and "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" are particular favorites of mine.
Jules-RM

Postby bigal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am

Jules RM-Thanks for the Specimen recommendation. I've heard Dead Man's Autochop before but never knew who wrote it. Sounds like a song that wants to be played with the Dirty Bomb!

I tend to agree with you on having an objective outsider doing the producing. Fortunately, we survived this one and learned a lot along the way.
bigal

Return to Barber pedals