DDSS @ 18V - tonal differences

Discuss standard production effect pedals

DDSS @ 18V - tonal differences

Postby deluxelespaul » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:18 pm

What tonal differences could I expect from running my DDSS at 18V? Any chance it would open up the tone a bit and make it slightly less compressed and thick at low to medium drive settings (roughly 7:00 to 12:00 on the drive knob?

Thanks for the info!
deluxelespaul

Re: DDSS @ 18V - tonal differences

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:44 am

that's how i run my DDSS, at 18 v

all i can say is, i prefer that sound over the 9v.

it is a bit as you describe, the idea that the sound 'opens up' a bit, and is a bit less compressed.

for me, it's a bit more hi fi, and easier to dial in the tone knob.
you can go with less treble and presence, but still have more clarity and grind at the same time.

i have a song recently finished, that features the DDSS at 18 v all over it, it's the best example i have of using this pedal for both rhythm sounds and lead guitar tracks.

all the solos throughout the song feature the ddss.
i'm driving the lead channel of a vintage Mesa Boogie Mark2b with it.....
lead channel is set for a crunch rhythm sound, fairly clean but gritty, then pushed with the DDSS with everything near high noon, maybe down on the tone a bit.

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/walked-away
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:50 am

deluxe-

here's another example of the DDSS at 18v...

this is quite a bit mellower than the previous song, and this is an instrumental, which might let you focus on the guitar sound a bit more.

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb10-allans-resolve

Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby deluxelespaul » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks Gonzo. That's what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate the help. Looks like I need to spring for an 18v adapter for my board.

I don't know what I'd do without my Tone Presses, single channel Unlimited, & Katrina DDSS's!

Thats a nice looking USACG BTW...
deluxelespaul

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:29 pm

thanks DLP

that usacg build, is what i used on all the guitars on both songs...

it likes the barber pedals.

there are several power units that offer at least a couple of 18v...

i chose this one in the pic, because it had (2), and i run my Fulltone MDV at 18v as well.....
gonzo-x

Return to Barber pedals