1/2 Gainer Note Shape trim pot

Discuss standard production effect pedals

1/2 Gainer Note Shape trim pot

Postby Staggerlee » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Hello,
I have a new (2012) 1/2 Gainer with the note shaping trim pot. I'm not sure what it does exactly. I seem to notice a little change in trebble when I turn it, but not much. What is the default position for it?
If you have any suggestions on setting, I'd be greatful. At home I play through an Eleven Rack Amp Modeller, so I have many choices of amps, but at practice with the band it's mainly a Vox AC30.
Thanks.
Gretsch 6120 w/ Filtertron pups, Gretsch 5191 w/ Filtertron pups, Strat MIM Custom Shop Texas pups -->Xotic Sp Compressor-->Barber DD-->Barber 1/2 Gainer-->Carbon Copy-->Eleven Rack Amp Modeller-->KRK VXT8 Active Studio Monitors

http://www.soundcloud.com/the-franz-kafkas
Staggerlee

Re: 1/2 Gainer Note Shape trim pot

Postby Jules-RM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:19 am

Found this in another Barber pedal manual:

"Note Shape: This trim adjusts the amount of bass being fed into the overdrive circuit, keep this set counter
clockwise for the tightest sounds or clockwise for big loose round sounds."

It should be the same. I don't remember the note shape trim being in mine, thought it just had Bass and Presence.

No advice, sorry. I do have an AC30, but I only have the LTD SR and Dirty Bomb right now. What speakers you got in it?
Jules-RM

Postby Staggerlee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 am

Jules,
Thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact I've been looking at the online manual, which doesn't seem updated, but in actuality the manual that came in the box contained that exact same explanation. :oops: RTFM, I know, I know.
I spend quite some time tweaking the trim pots and now I'm pretty happy. Couldn't tell you what speakers are in the Vox.
Gretsch 6120 w/ Filtertron pups, Gretsch 5191 w/ Filtertron pups, Strat MIM Custom Shop Texas pups -->Xotic Sp Compressor-->Barber DD-->Barber 1/2 Gainer-->Carbon Copy-->Eleven Rack Amp Modeller-->KRK VXT8 Active Studio Monitors

http://www.soundcloud.com/the-franz-kafkas
Staggerlee

Postby Jules-RM » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:00 am

I use Weber Blue Dogs exclusively, they throw out a little too much low end (even in the 2x15w open back cab I have) so I really have to pay attention to the low end in pedals.

It takes time to dial the trims in sometimes, but when you do it's great.
Jules-RM

Return to Barber pedals