New Direct Drive

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Re: New Direct Drive

Postby mjcyates » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 pm

New Direct Drive showed up today. Haven't had alot of time with it yet but so far it is everything I expected it to be. I am really liking the harmonics toggle to the left, gain toggle to the Low Gain side, Tone at noon, and Gain dimed. Sounds great! I do notice that the bass response is a bit more than my original standard Direct Drive.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby J.LaGrassa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Started to use my PRS McCarty again and man the does the CDD sound great with that guitar, The PRS is fatter sounding compared to my Les Paul and the stock McCarty pickups rock nicely. This new DD definitely has the mojo in it... really diggin the pedal!
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby David Barber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

J.LaGrassa wrote:Started to use my PRS McCarty again and man the does the CDD sound great with that guitar, The PRS is fatter sounding compared to my Les Paul and the stock McCarty pickups rock nicely. This new DD definitely has the mojo in it... really diggin the pedal!

I just started using my McCarty a little more for testing. I had an awesome McCarty in 2000 that sounded great with the stock pickups, the one I have now is a rosewood neck, but the pickups seemed less defined than my 2000. I swapped out the pickups for some Sethh Lovers and the improvement is very apparent. Then neck pickup is clearer, the combo position is very balanced and the bridge is tighter with better string definition. I need to send my PRS in and get the updated PRS pickups...or maybe just hang with the Seths for a while? If I could ask for one thing it would be the deeper and woodier bottom of my Hamer Vanguard/Artist which has Seth Lover pickups in it that I pulled from a Baker guitar in the early 2000s.

And yes, with the CDD it simply kills! :D
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby J.LaGrassa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:28 pm

David Barber wrote:
J.LaGrassa wrote:Started to use my PRS McCarty again and man the does the CDD sound great with that guitar, The PRS is fatter sounding compared to my Les Paul and the stock McCarty pickups rock nicely. This new DD definitely has the mojo in it... really diggin the pedal!

I just started using my McCarty a little more for testing. I had an awesome McCarty in 2000 that sounded great with the stock pickups, the one I have now is a rosewood neck, but the pickups seemed less defined than my 2000. I swapped out the pickups for some Sethh Lovers and the improvement is very apparent. Then neck pickup is clearer, the combo position is very balanced and the bridge is tighter with better string definition. I need to send my PRS in and get the updated PRS pickups...or maybe just hang with the Seths for a while? If I could ask for one thing it would be the deeper and woodier bottom of my Hamer Vanguard/Artist which has Seth Lover pickups in it that I pulled from a Baker guitar in the early 2000s.

And yes, with the CDD it simply kills! :D

I bought my McCarty back in 2000 as well, I tried a few pickups in that guitar but the stock McCarty pickups really grew on me so now I just leave that guitar alone, only mods that are still in it is a RS Guitarworks 500k Super pot for volume and Hovland musicap and a Tonepros bridge with the locking studs.
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby ochaye » Fri May 17, 2013 3:13 pm

J.LaGrassa wrote:Here is a little mindless Guitar wankage if you want to hear how the DD sounds, I put a recorder about 3' away from my amp which is a Modified Blues Junior III and used my Les Paul Classic with Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs, clip is totally unaltered.

Clips starts off Clean, then i used the Low gain setting and then used the higher gain setting, Harmonics on and tone at 1:00 drive at 12:00 and a tiny bit of delay

http://home.comcast.net/~jlagrassa/compact%20dd.mp3

nice playin' bro...can you recall the delay time settings at all? I thought it sounded nice and subtle
gibson les paul std (2) gibson les paul special fender USA tele Barber BU DD LTD and 1/2 gainer Zen Mos OCD crunchbox Cot50 Tim OD808 GT500 plexidrive Copperhead DLS.
6band Mxr EQ 10 band Mxr EQ Mxr CC delay (2) Boss DD20 Nova NR1,wet stereo and Verbzilla.
Voodoo Lab pedal power 2 plus
mesa boogie F100 head 2x12 3/4 back cab and 15 watt Marshall combo and laney vc15...far, far too much stuff
ochaye

Postby MullyFX » Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 pm

just returned home with this one

IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg (68.54 KiB) Viewed 19826 times

it's not unlike the gain changer but more open sounding and with a slightly different gain texture and frequency response.
I prefer the simple high cut tone control on this one

IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2596.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 19771 times
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Previous

Return to Barber pedals