A Barber pedals question.......

Discuss standard production effect pedals

A Barber pedals question.......

Postby rrwelden » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:36 am

Hey Dave,

When you design pedals, do you design them with a certain guitar or amp in mind? I know some pedal designers do this, and some pedals play nicer with single coils than HB's and vice versa or some meld with marshall amps better than Fenders. I would love to hear your views on this or even what pedals you designed with certain amps or guitars in mind!!!
Guitars: Fender Strat w/fralin blues specials, Mcinturff Glory Custom w/Klein 58 HB's
Amps: Two Rock Custom 50, Fuchs ODS 30, Fender 68 Silverface Bassman, Fender Prosonic
EFX: Barber 1/2 gainer, Barber unLTD, Barber Burn Unit EQ, ARC effects Klone, G2D Creamtone, Mojohand FX Rook, Lovepedal Eternity, Teese RMC-8 Wah, Ernie Ball Volume, Boss Tu-2, Fulltone Supra-trem, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Eventide Timefactor.
rrwelden

Re: A Barber pedals question.......

Postby David Barber » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 am

rrwelden wrote:Hey Dave,

When you design pedals, do you design them with a certain guitar or amp in mind? I know some pedal designers do this, and some pedals play nicer with single coils than HB's and vice versa or some meld with marshall amps better than Fenders. I would love to hear your views on this or even what pedals you designed with certain amps or guitars in mind!!!

I usually have a good mix of guitars and amps. Guitars include price range from $250-$3000, amps from $100-$2500. Pickups range from vintage output single coils to hot humbuckers. I try to make pedals that work well with all ranges of balanced sounding guitars. If a guitar is especially bright or very muddy it might fall out of the range of design work. I should note I do not consider the average Tele an "especially bright" guitar, I even use a Classic Vibe Tele for my $250 sound. I resist over customizing my guitars so they will best represent what an average guitar product buyer may own and use on the bandstand (living-room).

Amp I use are Vox AC15c1, brown Fender Deluxe reverb reissue with an alnico speaker (stock), Marshall Class-5, Barber Echelon, Barber 15-30 watt prototype, Crate power-block, Clark Beaufort special and Phil Jones Briefcase bass amp. I use the normal channel on the Deluxe, I have removed some bright caps from the AC15c1, Class 5 is stock, The Barber amps cover a very wide range of sounds, so much that I could really design purely with the Echelon and proto.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Return to Barber pedals