Small Fry reference sound?

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Small Fry reference sound?

Postby Ricey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:50 pm

I understand what the Direct Drive is going for when described as "British Overdrive". However, both the Small Fry and Burn Unit are described as "Medium Gain California". What is "California"? Does it mean the sound is reminiscent of a Tweed, Blackface, or early Mark Series amp? How is that different that the Gain Changer, Custom Cool or 1/2 Gainer, which are described as "US" Drive?
Randall MTS Series RM-100 Combo with Tweed, Blackface, Plexi, Brown, SL+ and Ultra XL Modules, 1990 Jackson USA Fusion, 2004 Gibson LP Standard, 1998 Fender American Deluxe Strat, 2011 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH, effects by Barber, Boss, MXR, Digitech, Hardwire, Dunlop, Marshall, Scholz, Thomas, ProCo, Love Pedal, Whirlwind, TC Electronics, BBE, Arion, Ibanez and Maxon.
Ricey

Re: Small Fry reference sound?

Postby David Barber » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:10 am

The Burn Unit (Small Fry) was meant to be as close to an analog modeller as I could get. You can go from tweed era, to Boogie, Dumble and Soldano types of overdrive. The "dynamics" control is the key, something we developed in 1998 and other manufactures are starting to copy this concept both in amps and pedals.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby Ricey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:18 pm

The Small Fry manual has some great suggested front panel "Burn" and "Dynamics" reference settings for "Tweed", "Blackface", "British" and "Boutique", which are helpful, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the internal trim pot settings and front panel clipping type switch to get the Small Fry to sound a bit more like specific amps. I have not tried fiddling with the internal trimmers. I have heard horror stories of people fiddling with internal trimmers inside pedals by other manufacturers, ruining the sound of the pedal and then not being able to return to the factory settings. Hoping this cannot happen with the Small Fry? It seems to me that the tone stack is set up more for a "middle of the road" tone. Any suggestions on how to adjust the internal trimmers, as well as the front panel clipping type switch for more specific "Tweed", "Blackface", "British" or "Rectified" tones would be greatly appreciated?
Randall MTS Series RM-100 Combo with Tweed, Blackface, Plexi, Brown, SL+ and Ultra XL Modules, 1990 Jackson USA Fusion, 2004 Gibson LP Standard, 1998 Fender American Deluxe Strat, 2011 Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH, effects by Barber, Boss, MXR, Digitech, Hardwire, Dunlop, Marshall, Scholz, Thomas, ProCo, Love Pedal, Whirlwind, TC Electronics, BBE, Arion, Ibanez and Maxon.
Ricey

Postby Ricey » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Anybody?
Ricey

Postby MullyFX » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:12 am

hi.....

there's no wrong setting on the internal trims. and most of them are self explanatory if you have ever used an EQ.
the only "new" trim pot is the note shape one, and this is the one I'd love to have on top (instead of just as a trimpot)
to me it sounds like the sludge control in the Trifecta... it seems to be a pre clipping bass control....
with the bass turned down before it hits the clipping stage the notes are slick and articulate...
with the bass turned up the sound is chunky and thick.....

but again... there's nothing you can do wrong. This is not like the trimpots inside a delay pedal which you might need a scope for to reset them.
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Return to Barber pedals