Need help deciding on an OD/Dis

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Need help deciding on an OD/Dis

Postby jpleong » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 am

The tone I'm listening for is akin to the crunchy, chunky Orange AD30. Specific examples are "Lonely Nation," "Stars," and "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot and "Stars" by Hum.

This would replace the Big Muff in my chain. I've already tried the EQD Monarch and wasn't that thrilled (too fizzy/buzzy on the top). Admittedly, it doesn't help that I always go direct and use IEMs so I hear everything.

So, what I'm looking at:
Direct Drive SS - lots of tweaking options
Compact DD - does this have the same tweakability of the SS?
Dirty Bomb

Any ideas what'll get me close? Am I, maybe, trying to find a sound that doesn't exist?

JP
Parker Nitefly Mojo w/ Jazz and JB
Parker PDF105 w/ 59n/CCb
Visual Volume -> POG2 -> BUEQ -> Liverpool Dlx -> Alter Ego v2
Visual Volume -> Monarch -> DD/DC -> Ethos OD -> Adrenalinn
Aura Spectrum EQ
[Bass]
MM USA SUB -> MB Compressore -> MB Super Booster
jpleong

Re: Need help deciding on an OD/Dis

Postby MullyFX » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 pm

to replace your BigMuff.... I'd say the Trifecta......
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Postby jpleong » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:03 pm

MullyFX wrote:to replace your BigMuff.... I'd say the Trifecta......

I'm not really after another fuzz... appreciate the suggestion, though.

JP
Parker PDF105 w/ 59n/CCb
Aura Spectrum EQ
[Bass]
jpleong

Postby MullyFX » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:42 am

okay...

then I'm voting for the Small Fry or the Custom Super Sport
MullyFX

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 am

jpleong wrote:Direct Drive SS - lots of tweaking options

You're correct that the DD-SS has lots of tweaking options, but it's always going to reside within the same tonal area (medium-high "British" gain)—especially once you screw the back-plate back on, essentially locking-in your trim-pot settings. All that tweaking really just lets you fine-tune where it's at within that tonal area.

The Compact Direct Drive, on the other hand, will let you switch between both high- & low-gain, and high- & low-harmonics at will, essentially acting as a multi-channel/level pedal. It will get you to the DD-SS's tonal area, but you won't be able to fine-tune as much once you get there. I hope that makes sense...

Both are fantastic pedals.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby jpleong » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am

So, I just swapped over my Burn Unit EQ into the Ethos' chain (where I want the AD30-like pedal to go) and it really sounded too much like the Ethos' dirty channel. That is to say it was too thin bass wise for what I'm looking for. So, I suppose that rules out the Small Fry.

I, however, love love love the harmonic "chime" I get with the Dumble-style pedals. I just want that with a more modern-sounding higher gain mid and bottom. This is something the Monarch doesn't get right.

What I'm wondering about either the DD Compact or Super Sport is... can I get it to do more than the 80's Marshall sound? Can it get the other British high gain sound? I really liked the DD/DDLG in the store when I was choosing between it and the BUEQ but I was, obviously, listening for a different type of tone at the time.

Hmmm... maybe the Dirty Bomb?

JP
Parker PDF105 w/ 59n/CCb
Aura Spectrum EQ
[Bass]
jpleong

Postby MullyFX » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:
jpleong wrote:Direct Drive SS - lots of tweaking options

You're correct that the DD-SS has lots of tweaking options, but it's always going to reside within the same tonal area (medium-high "British" gain)—especially once you screw the back-plate back on, essentially locking-in your trim-pot settings. All that tweaking really just lets you fine-tune where it's at within that tonal area.

The Compact Direct Drive, on the other hand, will let you switch between both high- & low-gain, and high- & low-harmonics at will, essentially acting as a multi-channel/level pedal. It will get you to the DD-SS's tonal area, but you won't be able to fine-tune as much once you get there. I hope that makes sense...

Both are fantastic pedals.

the Custom Super Sport is WAY more versatile though...... with the internal EQ and the noteshape and presence control...
don't get me wrong I sold the Super Sport and kept the Compact Direct Drive but the Custom Super Sport is more flexible and can get you sounds that the CDD isn't capable of.
MullyFX

Postby jpleong » Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 am

Just a quick update...

I haven't had the chance to pull the trigger on a new Barber pedal but I did "remember" that I hadn't tried the Monarch with higher voltage. I ran the 12v line from my Voodoo Lab PP2+ and have gotten much closer to the sounds I was hoping to hear from the pedal. I was surprised at how much more harmonically rich it became...

I'm curious if this was truly because of the increase in voltage or if it was something else (breaking-in period, placebo, etc...).

JP
Parker PDF105 w/ 59n/CCb
Aura Spectrum EQ
[Bass]
jpleong

Postby jpleong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:33 am

Well, it looks like I'm on the hunt, again. I just can't make the Monarch work. It's still not nearly as harmonically rich as I want it to be (its power-chord chugging is so fizzy and bland).

The Super Sport is still available at Humbucker... I would like to buy a Direct Drive Dual Channel but my usual retail channels don't have them listed online. Where did the DDDCs go for sale?

JP
Parker PDF105 w/ 59n/CCb
Aura Spectrum EQ
[Bass]
jpleong

Postby David Barber » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:25 am

jpleong wrote:Well, it looks like I'm on the hunt, again. I just can't make the Monarch work. It's still not nearly as harmonically rich as I want it to be (its power-chord chugging is so fizzy and bland).

The Super Sport is still available at Humbucker... I would like to buy a Direct Drive Dual Channel but my usual retail channels don't have them listed online. Where did the DDDCs go for sale?

JP

The DD DC is available direct and through dealers, only a small handful have ordered them. Ronni is only building about a dozen per week.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Next

Return to Barber pedals