Barber od pedals compatible with 5e3 Tweed deluxe

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Barber od pedals compatible with 5e3 Tweed deluxe

Postby tube.tone » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Hi all!

I am a long time watcher but only registered myself now and this is my first post. I own a Direct Drive old version for a long time with a 5e3 I built, it's the only pedal I use and keep it for 8 years. It works well with my amp, emphasizing the "tweed thing".

Please let me know your thoughts for another different flavored low gain OD that could work with my gear.

Thanks!
Fender Telecaster + Lollar Special T pickups > LTD V2 > DD > DD LG > Tweed Deluxe + Weber 12A125A + RCA tubes
tube.tone

Re: Barber od pedals compatible with 5e3 Tweed deluxe

Postby MullyFX » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am

maybe the compact Direct Drive which has a low gain option.
or get a used LTD SR
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Postby hobbyist789 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 am

I know it's not an overdrive, but something like the Barb E.Q. (now discontinued[?] but maybe still around somewhere) would be great to add in front of a 5E3 to help adjust the levels, since the amp's 1 tone knob is a bit limiting. Just this weekend I tried out a (non-Barber, sorry!) "real clean" boost pedal with active bass & treble knobs and really appreciated the ease of controlling tone into such a simple amp.

Aside from that, I think the Gain Changer "flat+fat" setting (left-hand toggle switch set all the way left) on low gain (right-hand toggle switch set to the right) would sound alive & huge with a tweed amp.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby tube.tone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks for your input.

I have experimented a few overdrive pedals from different builders over the past weeks. The DD is still my favorite at low gain settings, LTD V2 is great too, sounds a bit darker but with stacks very well with the DD.

When using both pedal at same time (LTD to DD) I get a fabulous dynamic tweed growl at low volumes. I will be happy with the LTD V2, Direct Drive and a Direct drive LG.
tube.tone

Return to Barber pedals