I need another overdrive tone...

Discuss standard production effect pedals

I need another overdrive tone...

Postby GuitarMD » Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello fellow Barber Pedal connoisseurs. I am a singer/rhythm guitarist with a descent rig but I am looking for something more ;)

I am looking for another overdrive sound - around the same amount of gain as my Barber LTD but just with some different character.

This is my setup:
Stratocaster --> Barber Launch Pad (always on but set low) --> Tone Press (on for cleans only) --> Barber LTD (on for an OD) --> BBE Sonic Stomp.
I run this into a modded Fender Blues Deluxe and Orange Tiny Terror. Both amps are setup on the edge of breakup.

I use the Tone Press for cleans.
I use the LTD for an overdrive tone.
The other two pedals are always on as part of my basic setup.

I am thinking of either the Barb E.Q. or Barber DD Low Gain.

Please let me know what your thoughts and recommendations are.
~GuitarMD~
Fender Stratocaster with Fralin Blues Specials and Fralin Unbucker -->
Barber LP + TP + LTD + E.Q. + BBE Sonic Stomp -->
Modded Fender Blues Deluxe with Dallman Reverb + 12AY7s & 6V6s --> 2 Celestion Greenbacks
Modded Orange Tiny Terror --> Celestion V30 + H30
GuitarMD

Re: I need another overdrive tone...

Postby mjcyates » Sat May 09, 2009 8:38 pm

I have the Barb EQ, I had the DDLG. Both are great pedals, however, if it was me and I had your current setup I would go with the new Custom Super Sport.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby GuitarMD » Sat May 09, 2009 9:17 pm

mjcyates,

Have you used your Barb E.Q. (in the right toggle setting) as an overdrive with your rig?

What does the the Barber Custom Super Sport have over the Barber Direct Drive Low Gain?

~GuitarMD~
Modded Fender Blues Deluxe with Dallman Reverb + 12AY7s & 6V6s --> 2 Celestion Greenbacks
GuitarMD

Postby mjcyates » Sat May 09, 2009 10:31 pm

You can't really use the Barb EQ for overdrive. I suppose if you cranked the volume up on it it could produce some overdrive but that is not its intended use. For me the Barb EQ is an always on pedal. I use it to give me the proper voice depending on what guitar, amp, venue, etc. The SuperSport has more gain and more tweakability than the DDLG. If you just want that vintage JTM45 tone then the DDLG is your pedal. If you want that plus more then you should go with the SuperSport. The great thing about Barber is that you can't go wrong with any of them. The bad thing about Barber is you end up wanting them all.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby GuitarMD » Sat May 09, 2009 11:03 pm

Well I tend to very cautious about pedals with too much gain because I run my amps on FULL VOLUME all the time.

I was listening to the ProGuitarShop's video review of the Barb E.Q.
http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.ph ... goryID=352

When they get to the right toggle position, "British Mode", it sounded like they could have just boosted the volume a bit to get some nice OD.

~GuitarMD~
GuitarMD

Postby DreamTheaterRules » Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm

The great thing about Barber is that you can't go wrong with any of them. The bad thing about Barber is you end up wanting them all.

:lol: my sentiment exactly. I've had a couple Barber pedals that, for my rig, and my desired tones was not something I knew I'd use much... and I STILL hated trading or selling them because they just SOUND GOOD!
DreamTheaterRules

Postby mjcyates » Sun May 10, 2009 11:50 am

When they get to the right toggle position, "British Mode", it sounded like they could have just boosted the volume a bit to get some nice OD.

The right toggle position definitely has more output. If you are running the amps full out and then engage the BarbEQ right toggle position that probably would give some overdrive. I run my pedals into a completely clean amp.
mjcyates

Postby GuitarMD » Sun May 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Good to hear, that the right toggle position on the E.Q. has more output - that might make it a nice OD2 for my setup.

What do some Low Gain Direct Drive owners think of their pedals imparting character on their tone?

Does anybody run their Super Sport with relatively low gain into a hot amp?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts,
~GuitarMD~
GuitarMD

Postby bigal » Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Technically it's not a Barber pedal, but last night I discovered the Barber-built Gainster is great alongside the LTD. Similar gain but different characters. I went guitar-Gainster-LTD. I set my LTD SR and the Gainster at about noon on the gain and it gave me 3 different voicings- 1) LTD smooth, 2) Gainster grit, and 3) together they pump out a nice level of grit and saturation that is clear enough to sound nice with my neck pickup and thick enough to rock out on my bridge pickup of my tele. I don't really like "stacking" ODs in general but this combo sounded surprisingly alive. It was only one night of noise-making without my band but I think it would be worth considering.
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby GuitarMD » Tue May 12, 2009 7:56 am

Thank you very much.
I had not heard of the "gainster".
I will look into it.

I still wish I could try out the E.Q. as an OD for a bit, just to decide whether I want to get it or another OD for my second tone.

Thanks again and I would still appreciate anyone else's thoughts.
~GuitarMD~
GuitarMD

Next

Return to Barber pedals