Looking for a new OD

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Looking for a new OD

Postby gamblor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm

So I'm looking for a new overdrive pedal. It'll be my more dirt overdrive pedal but not super full-on dirt pedal. A real rock OD pedal; chunky, raw, distorted, hairy, and not smooth. No neck pickup blues tones. A raw, not super compressed, fat, bridge pickup monster. The reason I'm looking for a new one is every pedal I've had gets too compressed when the gain is turned up and they sustain for far too long.

Basically the OD I'm looking for is a Blackface Super Reverb dimed....at reasonable volumes...with the possibility to get some more dirt and maybe sound a little Marshallesque. Something like the first Son Volt album (Trace). I currently play through a Allen Accomplice with 6L6's (a souped up BF Deluxe Reverb) with a 1X12.

So I see the Small Fry has the Dynamics knob which involves the control of compression. As well does the Custom Cool (which supposedly doesn't have a whole lot of gain on tap). Being able to dial that compression back seems super attractive. And I read somewhere on the Barber site that the CC was design to make Fender Twins sound like Fender club amps that are raging. Can it sound even dirtier than that? Or is that the domain of the Small Fry? Or even the Custom Hot...is that coming soon?

And my setup... A variety of Guitars will go into this setup: Teles, Jazzmasters, a Les Paul, a Riveria, and a 6120. Then some delay via the SPF Interstate 5 then into the aforementioned Allen Accomplice.

Any recomendations are appreciated.
thanks
gamblor

Re: Looking for a new OD

Postby plan-x » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Not an easy order. My LTD/sr mod gives me the truest fender amp OD tone. It has internal switches for more/less comp, more gain, etc. It reaches mid gain with the mod. Stack before/after it (boost?)to increase gain yet maintain it's tone.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Return to Barber pedals