18 volts?

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Re: 18 volts?

Postby hobbyist789 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 am

hamerman wrote:I am running my Direct Drive with mod board using the ACA setting on my PP+, and like it better than 9V or 18V. 9V is good, as I want a DD to give you some crunch and compression, so dialing up the voltage decreases the compression. For me, 18V lost too much compression, but 12V opened the pedal up just enough.

Since originally interjecting my question on this, I've gone ahead and set up my 'board with the LTD-SR & DD-LG drawing the PP2+'s "ACA" 12.3V, the same as you are doing. You're very accurate in your assessment of how the pedals are a little more "open" sounding on higher voltage. I wouldn't say it's changing the compression per se, but yes it's definitely opening things up a bit. It feels like a bandwith/headroom thing, like switching your amplifier to a slightly higher-powered one--same sound, different feel.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Re: 18 volts?

Postby Sonnyblu42 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am

I noticed a world of difference running my regular LTD at 18v... it seemed to equal out the mids, open and brighten up. I could not use it any other way.
Since then I sold my reg LTD and purchased the SR version. I much prefer the SR.

Now with my 1/2 Gainer... It sounds just fine at 9v... and I actually don't even noticed a difference at 18v. :?

I also run my FT OCD at 18v that really makes a difference also.
Barber Half Gainer, LTD SR, Dual Unlimited, Small Fry, incredible!

Marshall JTM45, Marshall 50 watt Plexi, PRS DGT
WGS Green Beret, Invader and Retro 30 spkrs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxeFob2g0lw
Sonnyblu42

Previous

Return to Barber pedals