Small Fry Burn unit

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Small Fry Burn unit

Postby doacmusic » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:20 am

Hey Folks,

I have recently purchased a Small Fry Burn Unit, and I'm finding that I have lost my way with the effect.

I was quite happy with how it helps "crunch" up the sound on my Custom 50 Combo (Hiwatt), but then I made the mistake of playing/exploring around with the internal trim pots. Now all I find is that it squares off/cuts short the notes played, with the burn dial only allowing to be a 9 o'clock at best, anything after that is like something from a robot with no colour or shape to anything.

Can anyone explain to me how the internal trims work; more bass to the left or right, note shape etc......

And if anyone has any great settings for the internal trims, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis.
doacmusic

Re: Small Fry Burn unit

Postby plan-x » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 am

Assuming nothing is wrong with the pedal, that must be the note shape trim turned to far to the right. Try all the way to the left. Dynamic could be working in conjunction with it being to far to the left, so move it right. My settings are as follows:

Vol- unity
tone- 12:00
Dynamic- hard right
burn-12:00

I'll guess about my internal trims. They turn from 7:00-5:00 but don't all face up. Some are turned 90 degrees.

Bass- 12:00
presence- 12:00
Mid- 9:00
Note shape- 12:00
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Dr. Hiwatt » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 am

Dear Travis:

I play a Hiwatt also (like duh!), a DR103, which is really the same as yours tone wise, just a bit louder. Anyway, I love the Small Fry and it helps "Marshall Plexi-ize" my Hiwatt so I don't have to lug my real Plexi to gigs also. But.....that being said, the Small Fry is a very sophisticated pedal and, if you don't take the time to set all the controls just right, it will not match up well with your amp and will not sound good at all. I'm at work right now, but will get back with you on how I set mine to get that Allman Bros "Fillmore East" tone!

Gerald
Dr. Hiwatt

Postby doacmusic » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:03 am

Still need some help !

All I get now is robot short cut off notes.

I think I'm losing interest very fast in this pedal, I going into the studio soon, maybe I'll see what can be done there.

Thanks.
doacmusic

Return to Barber pedals