DD (Mod Board) sounds too 'airy'

Discuss Custom Shop devices

Re: DD (Mod Board) sounds too 'airy'

Postby CalebT » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 am

Thanks Dave (and everyone else who replied).

I've managed to dial in a fantastic combination of settings, and have been enjoying my DD for the past week or so :)

It seems as though the sweet spot for the Tone control is around 3-5 o'clock (maximum). Anything below that and it seems to get a little raspy with my LP, but my Tele works great at around 12 o'clock.
Guitars Fender Baja Telecaster, Edwards E-LP-98LTS, PRS SE SH Soapbar, Fernandes Retrorocket
Effects Barber Pedals (Custom Cool, Burn Unit, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Direct Drive Mod Board, Barb EQ, Tone Press), TC Nova System, Toneczar Openhaus, and many others.
Amp Vox AC4TV Combo
CalebT

Postby CalebT » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 am

Thanks Dave (and everyone else who replied).

I've managed to dial in a fantastic combination of settings, and have been enjoying my DD for the past week or so :)

It seems as though the sweet spot for the Tone control is around 3-5 o'clock (maximum). Anything below that and it seems to get a little raspy (sort of like a half-cocked wah sound) with my LP, but my Tele works great at around 12 o'clock.
Guitars Fender Baja Telecaster, Edwards E-LP-98LTS, PRS SE SH Soapbar, Fernandes Retrorocket
Effects Barber Pedals (Custom Cool, Burn Unit, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Direct Drive Mod Board, Barb EQ, Tone Press), TC Nova System, Toneczar Openhaus, and many others.
Amp Vox AC4TV Combo
CalebT

Postby ringmod » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:08 pm

plan-x wrote:Ok, just for kicks I compared it to the Small fry under the criteria of indistinct notes, airy, & blanket over it. Yes, I could see possibly some of these comparisons. Airy was what I noticed the most. But I run mine really high gain for lead work. So I turned the gain back with pretty much the same result. I believe that would lead to the indistinct note thing. The small fry just stands out compared to the DD. I don't think the DD is billed as a Marshall in the box. It is what it is. As for the indistinct notes, well as compared to other pedal makers pedals, I believe it is quite good. OTOH, the Small fry is a very unique pedal. Stack it into the DD and the SF qualities come through. Also, if I were to turn up my mids a bit I think it would become more distinct. Yes the tone knob doesn't seem to do much in the lower range. As for matching my amp(s) drive tone, the DD is second to none. Blanket over something(amp?) I didn't notice that.
Ok, my settings as best I remember are:
Bass-2:00
Treble-2:00
Mid- 11:00
Presence- 12:00
Harmonics- 10:00
Note shape- 10:00
Gain- on
Asymmetry 1- on (lowest comp)
Asymmetry 2- off
Fizz- off

I would think to improve the airy/indistinct/tone dial thing would be to increase mids, harmonics, and possibly presence.

I thought Asymm 1 was a vintage compressed mode while Asymm 2 was a less compressed mode?
ringmod

Postby sternobob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Yeah, I think that he's got it in the most compressed mode. Could that be what he's calling "airy?" I like this pedal best with the asymmetry 2 on--the lowest compression setting.
sternobob

Postby plan-x » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:41 pm

ringmod wrote:
plan-x wrote:Ok, just for kicks I compared it to the Small fry under the criteria of indistinct notes, airy, & blanket over it. Yes, I could see possibly some of these comparisons. Airy was what I noticed the most. But I run mine really high gain for lead work. So I turned the gain back with pretty much the same result. I believe that would lead to the indistinct note thing. The small fry just stands out compared to the DD. I don't think the DD is billed as a Marshall in the box. It is what it is. As for the indistinct notes, well as compared to other pedal makers pedals, I believe it is quite good. OTOH, the Small fry is a very unique pedal. Stack it into the DD and the SF qualities come through. Also, if I were to turn up my mids a bit I think it would become more distinct. Yes the tone knob doesn't seem to do much in the lower range. As for matching my amp(s) drive tone, the DD is second to none. Blanket over something(amp?) I didn't notice that.
Ok, my settings as best I remember are:
Bass-2:00
Treble-2:00
Mid- 11:00
Presence- 12:00
Harmonics- 10:00
Note shape- 10:00
Gain- on
Asymmetry 1- on (lowest comp)
Asymmetry 2- off
Fizz- off

I would think to improve the airy/indistinct/tone dial thing would be to increase mids, harmonics, and possibly presence.

I thought Asymm 1 was a vintage compressed mode while Asymm 2 was a less compressed mode?

I stand corrected and have fixed that error on the original post I made.
plan-x

Postby metz420 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 am

Here is a link to the characteristic sound of the DD, when you get a chance, post your settings and a sound clip if you can.

http://barberelectronics.com/SShamer.mp3

Can I dial this tone into the Direct Drive Super Sport? What would the recommended settings be for this tone? Sounds amazing.
GUITARS | Fender Standard Strats with Fralin Blues Specials
AMPS | Fender amps (Blues Deluxe, Twin Reverb, Blues Jr. with BillM mods)
EFFECTS | Dunlop Original Crybaby > Korg Pitchblack > BBE Soul Vibe > Barber Burn Unit EQ > Barber Small Fry > Fulltone OCD v4 > BBE Two Timer Delay > BBE Sonic Stomp (in loop)
metz420

Postby plan-x » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:14 pm

That clip sounds like the drive is definitely up there, tone 12:00, vol....probably above unity. Bass trim might be backed off a tad to prevent any mudd. Sounds pretty standard DD territory. Also some of that(if not alot) is coming from Dave's amp and guitar. Which ain't no offshore junk.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Previous

Return to B-Custom