B-Custom Cool question(s)

Discuss Custom Shop devices

B-Custom Cool question(s)

Postby hobbyist789 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 pm

I'm wondering about the B-Custom Cool--I haven't seen/heard much about it aside from the PGS video library and some discussion on TGP. Anybody wanna ring in?

Question 1: It's billed as a "Small Fry meets LTD-SR," but does that refer to the EQ (ie. Small Fry with flattened LTD-SR mids) or the amount of gain (ie. a Small Fry-LG, if you will)? Or both? I'm curious because, while I'm loving my Small Fry right now, I'd like to dial out the slight mid-hump that I hear (same reason I like the LTD-SR over the regular LTD).

Question 2: Would you say the B-Custom Cool cleans up more/same/less than the Small Fry when rolling back the guitar's volume?
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Re: B-Custom Cool question(s)

Postby CalebT » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:23 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:I'm wondering about the B-Custom Cool--I haven't seen/heard much about it aside from the PGS video library and some discussion on TGP. Anybody wanna ring in?

Question 1: It's billed as a "Small Fry meets LTD-SR," but does that refer to the EQ (ie. Small Fry with flattened LTD-SR mids) or the amount of gain (ie. a Small Fry-LG, if you will)? Or both? I'm curious because, while I'm loving my Small Fry right now, I'd like to dial out the slight mid-hump that I hear (same reason I like the LTD-SR over the regular LTD).

Question 2: Would you say the B-Custom Cool cleans up more/same/less than the Small Fry when rolling back the guitar's volume?

The SF is quite different from the CC. The former excels at medium to high gain, while the latter is a dedicated low gain pedal. I think the similarities lie in the shared control scheme, although the CC is more flexible due to the push-pull pots. The tone control on the CC can be pulled up to switch between an SR EQ and a Snarl EQ (mid boost), and the dynamics control switches between smooth and crunchy. With regard to the amount of gain on tap, the CC has much less than the SF.

I think the SF and CC react similarly to volume-knob dynamics, although this will be dependent on your volume pots, taper, gain levels, volume levels etc. The CC doesn't do very high gain anyway, so a small decrease should be sufficient to get from 'slightly gritty' to 'sparkling clean'.

On a different note though, have you tried tweaking the trimpots in the SF? I leave my midrange trim at about 12 'o clock and it cuts through the mix nicely, although you could always turn it completely counter-clockwise.

At the end of the day, the SF and CC excel in different areas. I usually run the CC at a low-gain setting with SR EQ (slight grit, breaking up a little more when I dig in) and the SF as a smooth lead tone (Carlton-esque). The CC stacks really well into any of the other Barbers because you can set it to be pretty much flat and use it as a gain boost for the DD, SF, BUEQ etc.
Guitars Fender Baja Telecaster, Edwards E-LP-98LTS, PRS SE SH Soapbar, Fernandes Retrorocket
Effects Barber Pedals (Custom Cool, Burn Unit, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Direct Drive Mod Board, Barb EQ, Tone Press), TC Nova System, Toneczar Openhaus, and many others.
Amp Vox AC4TV Combo
CalebT

Postby plan-x » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:17 am

Does this mean you got a CC? :?
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby CalebT » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 am

Oh yeah, I do own a CC. I forgot to list it in my signature apparently. I guess I just have too many Barber pedals :p I'm contemplating the purchase of a Half-Gainer now too!
Guitars Fender Baja Telecaster, Edwards E-LP-98LTS, PRS SE SH Soapbar, Fernandes Retrorocket
Effects Barber Pedals (Custom Cool, Burn Unit, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Direct Drive Mod Board, Barb EQ, Tone Press), TC Nova System, Toneczar Openhaus, and many others.
Amp Vox AC4TV Combo
CalebT

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:03 am

The SF is quite different from the CC. The former excels at medium to high gain, while the latter is a dedicated low gain pedal. I think the similarities lie in the shared control scheme, although the CC is more flexible due to the push-pull pots. The tone control on the CC can be pulled up to switch between an SR EQ and a Snarl EQ (mid boost), and the dynamics control switches between smooth and crunchy. With regard to the amount of gain on tap, the CC has much less than the SF...

I'm getting the picture, then, that it's both lower gain and flatter-EQ than the SF, in addition to the other differences. Must indeed be a "connoisseur's" pedal (translation: it's for obsessive tone freaks, and I must try one).

Twisting the knife even further... on his website, Monster Mike Welch hints that there might be something called the "Hot" in the works to complement the "Cool"--anybody on the B-Custom payroll wanna comment on that?
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby David Barber » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:04 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:
The SF is quite different from the CC. The former excels at medium to high gain, while the latter is a dedicated low gain pedal. I think the similarities lie in the shared control scheme, although the CC is more flexible due to the push-pull pots. The tone control on the CC can be pulled up to switch between an SR EQ and a Snarl EQ (mid boost), and the dynamics control switches between smooth and crunchy. With regard to the amount of gain on tap, the CC has much less than the SF...

I'm getting the picture, then, that it's both lower gain and flatter-EQ than the SF, in addition to the other differences. Must indeed be a "connoisseur's" pedal (translation: it's for obsessive tone freaks, and I must try one).

Twisting the knife even further... on his website, Monster Mike Welch hints that there might be something called the "Hot" in the works to complement the "Cool"--anybody on the B-Custom payroll wanna comment on that?

The Custom Hot was finished about a year ago, but has never seen the light of day, I sent it off to our beta guys, but it has never returned home...ask me if I remember the exact details so I can build another. :o

Note to self, "do not send new fancy designs to beta testers who never return pedals". Maybe I should have drawn myself a schematic before sending off that final tuning. :oops:
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby hobbyist789 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 am

Gaaahhh!! The humanity! :o I shall hunt them down, and flog them mercilessly. And then I will keep the beta for myself...
Have or have owned:
hobbyist789

Return to B-Custom