tone press with b-buff

Discuss Custom Shop devices

tone press with b-buff

Postby Andy cowman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 am

Hi guys
Just placed an order for a tone press with b-buff fitted and just thought I'd ask peoples recommendations as to the location of the b-buff circuit. I seem to recall dave saying there were 5 possibilities. I like the idea of it being on all the time independent of the tone press but I thought I'd ask others who may have it in one of their pedals.

Andy
Tom Anderson hollow t classic,
Laney lc15 tube amp
Barber tone press with b-buff
Barber ddlg
Barber 1/2 gainer
B-Custom super sport
Barber duel unlimited. ( on the list!)
Mxr micro chorus

Elixir cables
Andy cowman

Re: tone press with b-buff

Postby Andy cowman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 am

Anybody?
Laney lc15 tube amp
Barber ddlg
Barber 1/2 gainer
B-Custom super sport
Mxr micro chorus

Elixir cables
Andy cowman

Postby David Barber » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:55 am

Most people like the bypass location, that way you have independent control of the output levels, if you want a higher than unity bypass you can have it, even if you want attenuated compression.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby hobbyist789 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 am

I think the 5 different options of where to put a B-buff inside the pedal are very different, and really depend upon what you want the pedal to do. For example, even if you want the B-buff to be "on all the time independent of the tone press," you'll still need to decide if you want the B-buff to be before or after the TP's circuit inside the pedal. Mental note: Keep in mind that nearly ALL pedals, including the Tone Press, will buffer your signal on the output, which is why most people who buy the B-buff as a "buffer" simply put it in the bypass (myself included).

Your original question is a good one for people on this forum to chime in their thoughts. Even better though, in your current case, would be for you to call the Barber shop and be ready to answer the question, "What do you want your pedal to do when it's (1) on, and also (2) when it's off." If you can answer that 2-part question, they'll be able to tell you exactly where the B-buff needs to be.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby Andy cowman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Thank you very much for your help its much appreciated.
im after the tone press to add more sustain to my clean signal and to even out my playing a touch.
And im after tge b-buff to boost the signal through the effects chain and maybe give aome boost to the amp to get a bit more gain. My current thinking is daves last option between the footswitch and the output Jack so that it drives the pedal output and is active during bypass. I know I'm not being very clear I'm not good at describing stuff like this.
Laney lc15 tube amp
Barber ddlg
Barber 1/2 gainer
B-Custom super sport
Mxr micro chorus

Elixir cables
Andy cowman

Postby hobbyist789 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Andy cowman wrote:And im after tge b-buff to boost the signal through the effects chain and maybe give aome boost to the amp to get a bit more gain. My current thinking is daves last option between the footswitch and the output Jack so that it drives the pedal output and is active during bypass.

For what you want to do, that location seems to be right-on.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby greyblooz » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:Keep in mind that nearly ALL pedals, including the Tone Press, will buffer your signal on the output, which is why most people who buy the B-buff as a "buffer" simply put it in the bypass (myself included).

That's certainly true, but I've noticed the Tone Press sounds a bit brighter with the Launch Pad (similar to B-Buff circuit) with my rig. Boosting the sensitivity a bit seems to make the compression respond faster. Then bypassing the Tone Press lets the full clean-boost power of the Launch Pad through.This just makes an already great pedal PERFECT for me.

I'm not saying the Launch Pad is a treble-booster. When Sensitivity is at the minimum, it's nearly impossible for me to tell if it's on or off. When you goose it, it seems starts to boost what's already there. My guitar has a Callaham tremblock, and fairly bright pickups. According David Barber in another thread, the Launch Pad is just making sure you DON'T LOOSE any highs.
greyblooz

Return to B-Custom