***Official LTD Special Recipe thread***

Discuss Custom Shop devices

***Official LTD Special Recipe thread***

Postby David Barber » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm

The LTD Special Recipe (LTD SR in web talk) came to life as a prototype in 2003. When I designed the LTD I had a few different voicings that I gave/sold to beta testers for extended listening and playing in the field, some of these beta testers have really good ears, great playing and a good idea of what other players want. We eventually chose to make the LTD from a version that added a little fatness (like you went up a string gauge) and really helped the sound of modern guitars, which tend to be a little strident sounding compared to older guitars with lighter truss rods and less metallic mass. What I had missed was that J Hayes, who is one of those great players with the golden ears and a true knowledge of what players what, was saying "my beta is still my favorite", because it does not change my base EQ and adds just what is needed ("yeah, yeah J, whatever, gladya like-it" :roll: ).

To cut to the chase, after a gazzilion gigs and clinics, J needed a clone of his "SR" so he could have a backup of his "favorite pedal", "no problem J, send it in and Britt and I will clone it and put a new switch in your old LTD unit while it is here". When I cleaned up J's old beta LTD and replaced the switch I tested the unit to be sure it worked, I was surprised at how much I like his beta LTD, it was so "even" sounding, nothing stuck out, the bottom was nice and full, the top was really open sounding. "Ok Britt, clone it!" :D After listening to the J Hayes LTD clone, we knew we needed to offer this version as a "special recipe", and that J was right all along with his assertion that his LTD proto had the greatest clarity and the most balance. Ronni dressed the pedal up with some cream knobs and green LED when he came aboard, and of course Ronni builds all of them now to "Ronni spec" in the B-Custom shop of Baltimore.

I always refer to the LTD SR as the "call your bluff overdrive", why? Because a standard LTD v2 will fatten up and enhance a guitar that is not "perfect" in its tonal presentation (or make single notes bigger), especially the top end, the SR does not attempt to "fatten" or re-EQ your guitar, what goes in, pretty much comes out, except with added harmonics and sustain, so the guitar better be up to the job, if you love every bit of the sound of your guitar, then the SR is magic! If your guitar sounds less then sweet on top, or you use really light strings, then probably go for the LTD v2. :D

Thanks again J for getting me to take a second listen to a forgotten voicing. :)

PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Re: ***Official LTD Special Recipe thread***

Postby Thazy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:21 pm

I have been lucky enough to have one for awhile. Great pedal Dave and Ronnie.
"Make everything louder than everything else..."

Stratocasters, DR Z, Fender, and Mesa amps, Barber Tone Press, DD, DDLG, LTD Silver, LTD SR, Trifecta...other pedals; Xotic, EWS, MI Audio, Catlinbread, Visual Sound, Keeley, Boss, Paul C, Mojo Hand, MXR...
Thazy

Postby Humancapo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 pm

I hate to say "I told you so" but... :D

I still remember playing that SR proto in your shop and then proceeding to "weasel" it out of you. (Btw, the small combo you showed me the same day also sounded killer). The SR instantly became my fave, nothing sounds as transparent as that pedal and for what I do I need that transparency. I've had a wide range of players play through that pedal and it seams to work for just about everyone, it makes the guitar and the amp just sound better, not different, just better. It's been my "magic box" for a number of years now... I'm glad I kept bugging you to clone that proto, I knew it was special the moment I played it.

Thanks David and Ronni, the tone is much appreciated!

Humancapo (J.)
PRS, Fender and Alvarez-Yairi guitars. Vintage Fender, Vox, Marshall, Mesa and Crate amplifiers. Barber Pedals (LTD-SR, DDSS, Dual Discrete/SR-DDSS, 1/2 Gainer, Tone Press, Small Fry,Dirty Bomb and unLimiTeD) Keeley Compressor, T-Rex Reptile, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Sonic Research tuners and some vintage pedals.
http://www.myspace.com/jhayesgtr
Humancapo

Postby bigal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 pm

I'm an LTD SR convert as well. It's now my go-to drive pedal hands down. I was worried about some peoples' opinions saying it sounds too bright since I play a tele but I don't find that to be the case at all. If your amp and guitar sound good together, the SR just gives you more range- extra saturation, harmonics, bite, or whatever. It unexpectedly cleared up an issue I had been having where I was making a compromise with my clean sound because when I kicked on other drive pedals it would sound too wooly, or too bright, or just too processed, or any number of other "too"s. Now I dial in my ideal clean/just breaking up tone and let the SR take it to the next level of saturation and thickness when needed. So it's helped my clean and drive tones by just being an "honest" sounding pedal. Sweet!
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby benlevy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:59 am

Just got one yesterday, used it last night. I'm quite happy. I was considering a Timmy briefly, then it was like a "could've had a V8" moment: Get an LTD!! It sounds great and I haven't really had time to tweek much. The manual says to wrap the battery clip with paper, but it doesn't come with paper on it? I usually never use batteries so don't ever take the back off pedals. I did this time to bump the bass up a little and there's the clip dangling. Guess I should check the Tone Press and Burn Unit too? haha

Anyway, like they say, it's pretty transparent. I was using it last night to add a little hair to the sterile clean sound of a Crate amp which works great. I'm not a pedal stacker, but I can use the lead channel of the BUEQ with it and it sounds fine so I don't have to tap dance, which is quite nice too. I haven't tried a normal LTD, everyone was out of them, but this SR is the sh!t. Thanks again Barber Electronics! :mrgreen:
Godin LGX, 83 Explorer, 66 firebird, other junk axes
Barber pedals: TP, BUEQ, LTDsr Other: who cares?
66 Bassman head -> Bogner OS212 cab; Crate V32 head -> Egnater 212 convertable cab
http://openroadrocks.com
benlevy

Postby David Barber » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Glad ya like it!!

As far as the paper battery wrappers, I admit it, I am a little neurotic, they really are not needed, but nothing feels as warm and fuzzy as knowing every unused contact is insulated. :D
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby Jules-RM » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:12 pm

I have nothing to add but praise. I first got one over a year ago, lots of dirt pedals have come and gone, but this pedal has always been useful. As a matter of fact I got a second one in a Dual Discrete - and they stack wonderfully. I usually use a Super Sport live for the heavier stuff, but when recording, it sounds a lot better to max out both gain knobs on the LTD SRs, and add a little amp distortion if needed.

Thanks again Dave!

Sorry for being gushy.
Jules-RM

Postby RussB » Sat May 02, 2009 12:40 pm

I have an LTD-SR inbound 8-)

I'm looking just ever-so-slightly push the Marshall's into overdrive without adding any mid bump

Snow White Auto Wah > Tone Press > Octron > CC Hybrid > Aqua-Vibe > B-Buff > Dirty Bomb > Timmy v2 > Turbo Tuner > Carbon Copy > Quantum Leap > Flint - - -18 Watt TMB - - - JCM 800 - - - Single Recto
RussB

Postby bigal » Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 pm

I think you bought the right pedal RussB. Enjoy!
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby RussB » Thu May 07, 2009 9:19 pm

The SR is all that and a bag of chips 8-)

I like how it has a flat EQ. It also lets me set the DDSS for a more "hot overdrive" setting

These Barber pedals are built so nice...they need plexiglass enclosures! :lol:

Snow White Auto Wah > Tone Press > Octron > CC Hybrid > Aqua-Vibe > B-Buff > Dirty Bomb > Timmy v2 > Turbo Tuner > Carbon Copy > Quantum Leap > Flint - - -18 Watt TMB - - - JCM 800 - - - Single Recto
RussB

Next

Return to B-Custom