B-Custom Super Sport

Discuss Custom Shop devices

Re: B-Custom Super Sport

Postby J.LaGrassa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 am

Timbeaux wrote:Over the past few years, I've went through a who's who list of boutique and mass produced overdrive pedals. Some were keepers, and some highly praised pedals were sent packing. Well, I have to admit, I wasn't really expecting anything except the same old thing when I tried out the Barber DD SS.....MAN....was I wrong!! I'm the kinda guy that doesn't rave about much of anything , but this pedal is one of my FAV overdrives EVER!! I just sold of some pedals costing over $200 each, and the DD SS blows them OUT OF THE WATER!! I know I sound like a commercial, but this is one of the few times that I"ve ever been so impressed with a piece of gear, especially an effect.....that I felt compelled to give a review. If you're thinking about this pedal at all, don't hesitate.....buy it now, and you won't want to stop playing your guitar....Great job guys.....this is what an overdrive pedal should sound AND feel like, and it's such an incredible value to boot!! You have a customer for life......

I hear ya!

I've tried a lot of pedals my self over the years I guess we all have G.A.S. but I always end up putting Barber pedals back on my board Dave just seems to tune his just right, love pairing the BCSS with the LTD V2 I also have the best clean boost made the Launch Pad...highly recommend that one if you need a solo boost!
Last edited by J.LaGrassa on Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby cayle_6 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:08 pm

I've confirmed my order for a Direct Drive Super Sport. It should be here in 3-4 weeks. I can't wait to get that pedal!
* 2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE * Fernandes Telecaster
* Blackstar HT-20 Combo with Celestion V30
* CAE Wah | Bogner Ecstasy Blue | Barber Half Gainer | Analogman Comprossor *
cayle_6

Postby Ronni » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

It's awesome.. hope you dig it as much as me.
G&L Legacy Special, PRS SE soapbar II, beefed up PV Classic50 4X10, Barber pedals, Budda Wah , Line6 green/blue F/X.
Then a bunch of studio stuff.
Tunes: http://www.bigbangaudio.com//MP3/johnnylaw_tunes/JL_covers.html

http://www.barberelectronics.com

http://www.myspace.com/bigbangstudios
Ronni

Postby cayle_6 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 am

Ronni wrote:It's awesome.. hope you dig it as much as me.

I hope I do. I'm really excited about it. :D
cayle_6

Postby cayle_6 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:41 am

My Direct Drive Super Sport has arrived and it killed my overdrive pedal GAS.

Initial review: It's FAT, GAINY yet very CLEAR. I set the external knobs at noon and I already loved what I was hearing. British tones indeed. Squishy mids. Sustain. Harmonics. All in one box. It's very responive to picking as well as rolling off the volume knob.

Can't stop playing Led Zep with this one! :D

Another satisfied DDSS user.

cayle_6

Postby plan-x » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:40 am

cayle_6 wrote:My Direct Drive Super Sport has arrived and it killed my overdrive pedal GAS.

It's a temporary thing. Gas is terminal.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby cayle_6 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:14 am

plan-x wrote:
cayle_6 wrote:My Direct Drive Super Sport has arrived and it killed my overdrive pedal GAS.

It's a temporary thing. Gas is terminal.

I know. I still need a delay pedal. :D
cayle_6

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Taken from the unLimiTeD thread, this quote's not directly applicable to the B-Custom Super sport, but I thought I'd transpose the idea over here to the Super Sport:

David Barber wrote:When you get any of the LTD series pedals (including the unLimiTeD), set the tone control at 12 o clock, then pop the back off and set the bass and presence trim pots to achieve the most balance likeable sound that you can dial in (you are basically adjusting the treble and bass). Once the trims are balanced to match your rig, then the tone control on top should handle everything very nicely. Keep in mind that the tone control cuts bass and adds treble as you turn it beyond 12 o clock, conversely it cuts treble while adding bass as you turn it below 12 o clock.

So, any recommendations on how to perform a similar "initial set-up" on Direct-Drive based pedals, which have the standard hi-cut tone control? Should I set the outside knob full-up and then taper off the internal presence trimmer to taste? Or start with the outside knob at noon? Suggestions, anyone?
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby David Barber » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:24 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:Taken from the unLimiTeD thread, this quote's not directly applicable to the B-Custom Super sport, but I thought I'd transpose the idea over here to the Super Sport:

David Barber wrote:When you get any of the LTD series pedals (including the unLimiTeD), set the tone control at 12 o clock, then pop the back off and set the bass and presence trim pots to achieve the most balance likeable sound that you can dial in (you are basically adjusting the treble and bass). Once the trims are balanced to match your rig, then the tone control on top should handle everything very nicely. Keep in mind that the tone control cuts bass and adds treble as you turn it beyond 12 o clock, conversely it cuts treble while adding bass as you turn it below 12 o clock.

So, any recommendations on how to perform a similar "initial set-up" on Direct-Drive based pedals, which have the standard hi-cut tone control? Should I set the outside knob full-up and then taper off the internal presence trimmer to taste? Or start with the outside knob at noon? Suggestions, anyone?

I recommend the same basic process, except set the tone control on top to 3 o clock.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby cayle_6 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 am

My Sports. :D

cayle_6

PreviousNext