Anyone using "extreme" settings with the Mod Board?

Discuss Custom Shop devices

Anyone using "extreme" settings with the Mod Board?

Postby bigal » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Just to clarify- I'm not referring to the band, Extreme! Just wondering if anyone is getting creative with the Mod Board and doing cool things that dramatically alter the basic character of the LTD or the DD. If so, what kind of sound were you going for and how did you achieve it? I'm in the mood to experiment with my DD w/ mod board and I'm looking for some inspiration.
Tone Press, Gain Changer, Barb EQ[/color], VFE Alpha Dog
(MXR Chorus, Boss Tremolo, TC Flashback)
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Re: Anyone using "extreme" settings with the Mod Board?

Postby David Barber » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm

I like setting the note shape 1/3 up, harmonics full clockwise, switches to low gain and symmetrical, mids all the way down and then set the knobs on top for very low drive. This way you get lots of harmonics and a flatter low gain sound...it's very lively! Most players run the DD the other way around with low to medium harmonics and high gain setting on the drive knob.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby bigal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Nice. Thanks! I assume with the harmonics cranked, it introduces some more compression, but with flatter mids, it might sound "airy" (though I'm never completely sure what "airy" is supposed to sound like).
Guitars: American Standard Telecaster (Dimarzio Area T Hot/Area T Neck), Richmond Belmont, Godin LG Signature, PRS SE Soapbar II
Amps: Rivera Quiana (Weber Legacy); Clark Beaufort Spec. (Mojotone BV30H); Traynor Darkhorse (Eminence Ragin' Cajun)
bigal

Postby bigal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Had a chance to play with Dave's "lively" settings last night- lively indeed! Very cool. I was expecting that cranking the harmonics would also introduce a lot of clipping but it really just introduced, well harmonics! Sound just leaped off the guitar. I ended up keeping the mids at about 10 oclock, not all the way down. I don't have too much time to experiment at home- with a 6 month old and a 900 sq ft apartment keep me unplugged at home, but hopefully next week at practice my bandmates will humor me for 10 minutes or so while I get inside the DD and mess with trim pots some more.
bigal

Return to B-Custom