tone diffrence in tube and solid state power amps?

Well behaved discussion about virtually, anything!

tone diffrence in tube and solid state power amps?

Postby jacobaf105 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

I am currently using a peavey dpc1400, 350x2@4ohms. with my preamp I am using now I only have a clean channel, So I will be getting some OD pedals from barber and really wanting to know if I change my power amp to a tube amp would I get a better overdrive sound? I am looking at something like the peavey classic 50/50 or 60/60.

thanks
fender 72 deluxe tele, barber tonepress, digitech gsp 1101, peavey nashville 1000, rocktron velocity 300 and eminence big ben.
jacobaf105

Re: tone diffrence in tube and solid state power amps?

Postby RayBarbeeMusic » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:36 am

Better sound probably, better feel, definitely.

There have been solid state devices out there for at least 20 years now that produce a good OD sound, very tube-like, if you are standing across the room listening. If you are holding the guitar, you notice it feels 'stiff' with solid state, especially pre and power amps. You have to fight more to get the notes out, they dont 'jump' off the fretboard like they should.

I've found this to be true even when using a tube pre-amp into a solid state vs. tube power amp. I can feel it at my fingers immediately.

The only solid state devices I've found which feel and sound like amps to me are Dave's pedals, thats why I use them. Pretty much everything else I've tried, which is literally hundreds of things, sound either artificial and non-amp-like, or feel stiff and solid-statey. They are the only non-tube devices I'd ever use for overdrive.

What pre-amp are you using now?

The Peavey 50/50 or 60/60 power amps you mentioned are great little power amps, IMO some of the coolest products Peavey ever produced. They can be had very cheap right now to. Get it re-capped and re-tubed. It will be a huge improvement over a solid state power amp in terms of how your rig responds and the tactile experience of playing your guitar.
Barber Stuff: DD, DD mod board, DDLG, LTD, Half-Gainer, UnLimiTeD, Burn Unit EQ, Custom Cool, Tone Press, Launch Pad, Dirty Bomb
Amps: Ones I Mod, lots. Guitars: G&L, Gibson, Hamer, Ibanez, Misc others.
RayBarbeeMusic

Return to Off Topic