Mojotone PW Hornet review...

Well behaved discussion about virtually, anything!

Mojotone PW Hornet review...

Postby Properpat » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:48 am

My Franken-Tele is a bright sounding guitar. Which is surprising for a mahogany body, but it's always been that way. I've had several pickups in this guitar including a High Order Pickups T-top, a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF, a custom shop Seymour Duncan and a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. Before now, the best sounding one of those in my particular guitar was the Dimarzio, but it still lacked that... something. So a couple of weeks ago I emailed David at Mojotone and expressed my needs and concerns regarding pickups. After a couple of back and forths he recommended the PW Hornet (the signature humbucker of Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and Me). I watched the demo video that Paul did and he described almost everything I said I wanted in a pickup, so I paid Mojotone and waited.

Some folks may not enjoy the aesthetics of an 'open-faced' covered humbucker, but my guitar is ugly as sin anyway, so it fit the bill nicely. This is the most interesting sounding pickup I've ever played in any guitar. It's wound to 11K-ish with a ceramic magnet, so one might make the educated guess that it's a bright pickup. While it is ridiculously clear and articulate, it isn't overly bright. In fact it lacks some of the upper high end frequencies that are generally associated with being 'ice-picky'. This is fantastic for me, because it solves most of the brightness issue from my guitar (the rest of the issue was remedied with EQ adjustments to my amp and pedals). It has a very smooth but crunchy midrange (almost cardboard-like crunch, think early Metallica) and a balanced and punchy bottom end. But this isn't the interesting part; that would be the initial attack of the pickup. Upon initial strike there's a wonderful twang that then blends into fullness and warmth (this is a poor description, but it's the best I've got). I've played humbuckers from vintage styled (like most of what's been in my guitar as listed above) to modern (such as EMG's and a few Bare Knuckles) but this pickup is very unique. It's a wonderful amalgamation of the things I enjoy about tele pickups and modern humbuckers. The icing on the cake is that it plays much nicer with my amp and pedals. All of a sudden my EQ was making more of a difference and my pedals were quite a bit quieter than before. But to stop rambling, I love this bloody thing!
Alder bodied, maple/pau ferro necked parts-caster with one Seymour Duncan Griffin (my name choice; Custom slug coil with a Pegasus screw coil and a roughcast and unoriented A5 magnet).
Properpat

Return to Off Topic