"Recollection" (TP, DDSS)

Post and discuss sound clips made with Barber pedals and amps.

"Recollection" (TP, DDSS)

Postby gonzo-x » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 pm

"Recollection"

(guitar instrumental with 3-part guitar, drums, and bass)

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/recollection-09-12-10

available as download:
https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action ... R00wTVE9PQ

this is the 1st song i've recorded using a vintage Ibanez Artist i just purchased.

the story behind the song, is that back in 1979, i bought a brand new ibanez artist, and gigged with it for about 5 years, before i sold it to purchase my carvin. i had always regretted letting that guitar go, and just a few weeks ago, i found a 1977 ibanez artist, almost just like my original one, and i just had to nab it.

so, the song is telling the story in 3 parts...
1st part, the search for the guitar
2nd part, the recollection of the sound and feel of the original guitar
3rd part, celebration of the new found guitar.
hehehe
simple.

all the guitar parts are the ibanez artist.

The 1st (2) sections, with the cleaner guitar parts, are all thru a Barber Tone Press.
The Fuzzy-sounding guitar solo at the beginning, is the neck pickup thru the DDSS, with the tone rolled off on the guitar.

The heavy guitar rhythms, and the 3rd section solo, is all thru the Direct Drive super sport.
couldn't tell you what the settings on the pedals were, i change them on every track. it's a feel thing.

The bass is thru the Tone Press.

all guitar parts are double miced, using a ADK Hamburg as a 'room mic' on one side, and the Palmer Junction direct on the other side, typical for all 3 guitar parts.
the mic signal is fed thru an analog DBX compressor and tube mic preamp before hitting the convertor.

bass track was split into two tracks, using the Sansamp Bass DI as a splitter- one track straight off the Sansamp, and the other split to my mesa boogie (tweaked for the bass)- mic was fed thru an analog DBX compressor and tube mic preamp before hitting the convertor., and the 2 tracks were blended to one bass buss, with compression and limiting on it.

the '77 artist:
Last edited by gonzo-x on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Re: "Recollection" (TP, DDSS)

Postby plan-x » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Funky! Nice axe. Great tones. You got some pretty original "industrial" guitar freak efx going on as well. You succeeded in showcasing it as a swiss army knife. I'm impressed.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby gonzo-x » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:38 am

thanks "x"

a lot of the guitar effects were various settings of my Deja Vibe pedal.
and then, total abandonment with Barber pedal tweaking.
LOL

it was a fun track to make.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby gonzo-x » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 am

"Recollection" - new version

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/recollect-ver2

brand new drum track.
using Toontrack Superior Drummer, Avatar kit.
completely different feel than the first version..
with a more 'rock' drum groove, than the original funky thing.

'from the ground up' new mix-
this is a much more aggressive mix than the original.

i think i need to bring the drums up more in the mix, yes, no?

i played some fun tricks with a 'room' mic on the final solo, how do you think it translated?

a pic of the wave before i mastered it. it sounds WAY better than the mastered version.........?!
but very quiet.... like U2's 'the joshua tree' in terms of final level. i think the average RMS is about -24. LOL
gonzo-x

Return to Sounds of Barber