Some blues with Half Gainer and Small Fry

Post and discuss sound clips made with Barber pedals and amps.

Some blues with Half Gainer and Small Fry

Postby fatteletom » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Here's my band doing a song called "Still Wonder" from Johnny Lang's "Lie to Me" album. This features OD tones from my 1/2 Gainer and Small Fry pedals. I'm playing the leads (right channel) on this one.

http://www.14milestoempty.com/music/fla ... 20Fade.mp3

Amp is my Traynor YCV40, with an Eminence Texas Heat speaker. Amp was in an iso room running loud enough to be nice and full, but still pretty much dead clean. So pretty much all of the OD is from the pedals, plus maybe a little compression from the amp.

Guitar is my Fender Fat Tele with the stock Fender DH-1 pickup in the neck and a Duncan Lil '59 in the bridge (it also has a Fralin Strat middle pickup, not used here). Some fairly dead strings unfortunately, although that kinda works here.

Through the first guitar solo, it's the neck pickup through the Half Gainer, with the gain up around 1:00 (if I remember correctly--it's been about 8 months since we recorded this).

After that, I switch to the bridge pickup through the Small Fry (Half Gainer is off), gain round 1:00, dynamics probably around 10:00. Toggle switch was probably in the "right" position. Tone probably a bit above half-way.

Reverb is a plug-in added in the mix.

Playing is what it is, but I do like the tones a lot. We were originally going to have our horn players solo over the vamp at the end, so I just kept playing figuring it would get replaced later. We ended up not having time to get the horns on this song, so for better or worse, you get to hear me ramble on for a while with some Small Fry-enhanced licks.

Also, I hadn't messed with the 1/2 Gainer trim pots after swapping speakers from a Vintage 30 to a Texas Heat. With the much stronger bottom end from the TH, there's almost too much bottom end overall with the 1/2 Gainer. I have since dialed back the bass trim on the Gainer a bit--gotta love that ability to tweak the pedal to the rest of your gear.

Any comments/suggestions on the mix welcome, but be kind, as I'm very much in the learning stages as a self-taught mixer. Still not happy with the reverb treatment. The guys in the studio dialed in a great reverb effect for me through the cans while tracking, and I haven't come close to equaling that. And despite the filename, this is only "mastered" in the most limited sense--some very mild compression and gain boost added to the 2 channel mix.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks again to Dave and crew for the inspiring pedals.

Tom
Guitars: Glendale Tele (Nocaster pickups), Fender Am. Series Fat Tele; Ibanez AS-73, Ibanez RS440

Amps: Traynor YCV40WR (w/Emin. Texas Heat), Egnater Tweaker (w/G12H30)
Barber Effects: Small Fry, Direct Drive SS, Half-Gainer.
Other Effects: Digitech EX-7, Line6 M9, Boss BD-2, BBE Freq Boost

http://www.14milestoempty.com/music/fla ... CallMe.mp3
(Glendale, Small Fry, Traynor, main rhythm riff)
fatteletom

Re: Some blues with Half Gainer and Small Fry

Postby plan-x » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:02 am

Sounds great! Love the tone on both pedals.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Ephes6 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

Great Tone... Love it. Thanks for sharing.
Carvin Bolt - Bill L. & Seymour Duncan pick-ups) / Boss SD-1 (Allums mod) / Barber DD / Xotic EP Booster / Line 6 M9 / Fender Humboldt Hot Rod Blues Jr.
Ephes6

Postby J.LaGrassa » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:55 pm

That was great, nice tune!
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby fatteletom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks, glad you enjoyed.

The band is finally getting together again for a gig next month after a long maternity leave (and unrelated illness) hiatus, so looking forward to giving the pedals a little more of a workout again.

Tom
Guitars: Glendale Tele (Nocaster pickups), Fender Am. Series Fat Tele; Ibanez AS-73, Ibanez RS440

Amps: Traynor YCV40WR (w/Emin. Texas Heat), Egnater Tweaker (w/G12H30)
Barber Effects: Small Fry, Direct Drive SS, Half-Gainer.
Other Effects: Digitech EX-7, Line6 M9, Boss BD-2, BBE Freq Boost

http://www.14milestoempty.com/music/fla ... CallMe.mp3
(Glendale, Small Fry, Traynor, main rhythm riff)
fatteletom

Return to Sounds of Barber