Weber Beam Blocker--Nice!

Discuss internal affairs of pedals, guitars, amps and components etc...
Not focused on DIY.

Weber Beam Blocker--Nice!

Postby sternobob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I just installed Weber Beam Blockers in my two favorite amps--a 1-12 Clark Fremont and a 1-10 Guild Thunder One.

Both of those amps sound great with the gizmos installed. With my single-speaker amps, moving my ear a few degrees either way made a huge difference. I never really knew exactly what EQ the audience was hearing. If nothing else, it's one less thing to think about onstage. IF and I do me IF there are some frequencies missing, the overall sound is WAY better because of that. I haven't gigged with the amps yet, so we'll see if I find myself setting my EQ differently onstage. Based on what I'm hearing at home, I don't expect to do so.

I think that this product is an elegant and inexpensive remedy to an annoying problem. Ted Weber was a fine engineer. He will be missed.
sternobob

Re: Weber Beam Blocker--Nice!

Postby sternobob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 pm

OK, I played out last night with my Clark Fremont--a 60-watt old Marshall clone. This amp has had a few speakers over the years, but it now has a single Eminence Texas Heat 12-inch speaker, my current favorite with that amp. All of the speakers in that amp exhibited very uneven dispersion of the highs.

Honestly, this is the best that amp has ever sounded. The stage wasn't large and as usual, I was standing a few feet in front of the amp. I ended up rolling off some of the presence on the amp. I've been exclusively using the middle and bridge positions with my dual humbucker guitars, because the neck position never sounded bright enough to me. Last night I was really enjoying playing on the neck pickup on many songs.

I guess that standing in front of the amp, I wasn't hearing a lot of the highs that the amp was producing. I keep the amp on the ground and stand above it, significantly off-axis from the center of the speaker. Nobody ever complained, but now I believe that my tone in the audience directly in front of the amp was WAY brighter than I ever assumed it to be. I knew that it would be somewhat brighter out front and adjusted for that over the years, but I never knew how much or exactly where the tone would be brighter because the sound was different depending on exactly where I listened for it.

For what it's worth, this is far and away the best $18 (+ shipping) that I've ever spent on gear.
sternobob

Re: Weber Beam Blocker--Nice!

Postby chptunes » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:31 am

..I got a Blocker with a 12A150 that ordered last year.. it was really nice with that speaker.. really helped spread the sound. I also tried the blocker with Ceramic and AlNiCo Tone Tubbys.. it did not have a big affect with those spkrs. My 2x12 TT AlNiCo cab really doesn't have a "beam" problem.. it's the widest dispersion of sound I've ever had, personally.

-Corey
Guitar: USACG - Telecaster
Instrument Cable: George L's - .225
Pedal Device(s): Barber - LTD (SR)
Amplifier: Custom "one-off" Class A head (Tweed Deluxe'ish, but with EL84's)
Spkr Cable: CBI - 14 gauge
Spkr Cabinet: Tone Tubby - 2x12 AlNiCo
chptunes

Return to Nuts and Bolts