Pedals with buffers?

Discuss internal affairs of pedals, guitars, amps and components etc...
Not focused on DIY.

Pedals with buffers?

Postby jacobaf105 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Ok I am pretty new to the true bypass pedals and bufferd pedals, and pedals in general (boss,ibanez,etc). I have a boss bd2 that I like the sound but it really sucks my tone/volume when its off. I see there are DIY bypass kits that I can make, wondering if I make this would it help with the tone sucking? I wont be using many pedals just maybe a compressor and a OD or 2 from baber I might add. Just wondering if I make the bypass and use the BD-2 on my board would this help with the tone sucking? and if all my pedals are all true bypass if I say I have 4 or 5 pedals would I still have the same problem? just trying to get a better understanding on what a bufferd pedal is, the website I found to make the true bypass, they recommend the use of a line driver (buffer) when using this.
fender 72 deluxe tele, barber tonepress, digitech gsp 1101, peavey nashville 1000, rocktron velocity 300 and eminence big ben.
jacobaf105

Re: Pedals with buffers?

Postby fatteletom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

jacobaf105 wrote:I have a boss bd2 that I like the sound but it really sucks my tone/volume when its off.

Hmm, the BD-2 *is* a buffered pedal. So, it should be giving you all the benefits of a buffer already (although some people like to have buffers at both ends of the pedal chain).

I know some folks say they don't like the "tone" of the Boss buffers. I've never noticed any significant issue with my BD-2, but I can't speak for what other people hear.

However, I can't think of any reason for you to notice a *volume* difference depending on whether or not the BD-2 is in your signal path. If that's really happening, I think something must be wrong somewhere. Have you tried a direct comparison of:

guitar->cable->amp

against

guitar->cable->BD-2->cable->amp

with the BD-2 in the off position? If you do that comparison and notice a significant volume difference between the two, I'd be concerned about a bad cable, or an issue with the BD-2 (low battery or bad power supply maybe)?

Tom
Guitars: Glendale Tele (Nocaster pickups), Fender Am. Series Fat Tele; Ibanez AS-73, Ibanez RS440

Amps: Traynor YCV40WR (w/Emin. Texas Heat), Egnater Tweaker (w/G12H30)
Barber Effects: Small Fry, Direct Drive SS, Half-Gainer.
Other Effects: Digitech EX-7, Line6 M9, Boss BD-2, BBE Freq Boost

http://www.14milestoempty.com/music/fla ... CallMe.mp3
(Glendale, Small Fry, Traynor, main rhythm riff)
fatteletom

Postby jacobaf105 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 pm

yeah thats how I noticed a diffrence. my tone seems a I would say not as clean and full as it does with the pedal in line but in the off position. so i really dont know, I am using all george L cabels so I dont think they are the problel and my longest cable is about 8 or 10ft. so I really dont know. I thought about just going with a few pedals that were all true bypass, but i do like the of tones from the BD2.
fender 72 deluxe tele, barber tonepress, digitech gsp 1101, peavey nashville 1000, rocktron velocity 300 and eminence big ben.
jacobaf105

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:58 am

Not to sound like I'm on a rant here, but cases such as this are exactly where those small/somewhat-inexpensive true-bypass boxes (ie. Loop-Master, Keeley, or home-made) become extremely handy:

(1) Use the true-bypass box to isolate that "problem" pedal, and then test it while playing simply by kicking the loop on or off. Much better than playing thru the pedal, unplugging & going straight into amp, then plugging everything back in and going back to compare... Using the true-bypass box will give you that immediate comparison that your ears need.

(2) If the "problem" pedal does turn out to suck tone, then you can still use it on your pedalboard along with the t-b box, and just keep in that isolated loop.

So, jacobaf105, if you're wondering "should I get myself a true-bypass pedal" I'd say yes--I think it would help you solve the problem that you're having right now. If you're asking "should I strive for an all-true-bypass pedalboard" that's a whole different story that requires a little more knowledge on what "true bypass" and "buffers" really are. [Good reading for this is on Pete Cornish's website, entitled "no true bypass", as well as in Andy's Corner on ProGuitarshop.com] Not to say that "true-bypass" is bad, but there comes a point where you'll realize that buffers (good ones) can be your friend.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby jacobaf105 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

hobbyist789 wrote:Not to sound like I'm on a rant here, but cases such as this are exactly where those small/somewhat-inexpensive true-bypass boxes (ie. Loop-Master, Keeley, or home-made) become extremely handy:

(1) Use the true-bypass box to isolate that "problem" pedal, and then test it while playing simply by kicking the loop on or off. Much better than playing thru the pedal, unplugging & going straight into amp, then plugging everything back in and going back to compare... Using the true-bypass box will give you that immediate comparison that your ears need.

(2) If the "problem" pedal does turn out to suck tone, then you can still use it on your pedalboard along with the t-b box, and just keep in that isolated loop.

So, jacobaf105, if you're wondering "should I get myself a true-bypass pedal" I'd say yes--I think it would help you solve the problem that you're having right now. If you're asking "should I strive for an all-true-bypass pedalboard" that's a whole different story that requires a little more knowledge on what "true bypass" and "buffers" really are. [Good reading for this is on Pete Cornish's website, entitled "no true bypass", as well as in Andy's Corner on ProGuitarshop.com] Not to say that "true-bypass" is bad, but there comes a point where you'll realize that buffers (good ones) can be your friend.

thanks thats some great info, what are some pedals with "good" buffers? thanks again
jacobaf105

Postby hobbyist789 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:48 am

jacobaf105 wrote:thanks thats some great info, what are some pedals with "good" buffers? thanks again

Well I've had good luck with a Boss TU-2 at the beginning of my pedal chain (all Boss pedals are "buffered"). But then again, the Boss pedals can sound fine with some people's gear and not others...

Obviously, the Barber/B-Custom B-Buff is an excellent buffer that can be installed almost anywhere you want. I put my own B-Buff in a stand-alone box. (Check out the "B-Buff in a Box" thread elsewhere in this forum.) They're homemade, though, so don't ask Barber to build you one--Lovepedal, Wampler, and others already make & sell similar stand-alone buffers like this.

You can also use practically any "clean boost" pedal as a buffer, as long as it's turned "on" and the volume is set at or near the volume when turned off. This is a fairly popular and easy option to "buffer" your signal--check out Barber's Launch Pad for this, or any other pedal that promises high-headroom clean boost.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby jacobaf105 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:26 pm

thanks guys this forum had helped me more than any other place, great advice thanks again
jacobaf105

Return to Nuts and Bolts