What amps are you guys using?

Discuss internal affairs of pedals, guitars, amps and components etc...
Not focused on DIY.

Re: What amps are you guys using?

Postby johanwhite » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:26 am

Right now I am using Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, with JJ's from Eurotubes and an Eminence Red White & Blues speaker to make my Barber Pedal Shine. It gives me the most classic blackface sound. But I want good sound in all not only in classic. So I should try some other amps to get better sound.
johanwhite

Postby J.LaGrassa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Might as well update this thread, now using a Fender Blues Junior III I think its there best version yet, I did make a few minor changes I changed the pre and power tubes to all JJ tubes and Installed an extra cap in the power supply. The amp takes Barber pedals real nice its a fine gigging amp and very portable, I tried a couple of other speakers but put back the stock Lightning Bolt Speaker that speaker is breaking in nicely and sounding very good.
Last edited by J.LaGrassa on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby uscgamcks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:57 pm

So how do you like the Blues Jr III? I've sold the Peavey (too loud for my use), but am concerned that I will need to mod/tweak (BillM anyone?) the BJ III so much. Any suggestions on going with the BJ, or going up the Fender Hot Rod III series?
Tele>dunlap wah>TP>DDLG>LTD Silver>LTD SR>DDSS>Boss Eq>MXR Phase>DD-7>Fender Blues Jr III
uscgamcks

Postby J.LaGrassa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:05 pm

uscgamcks wrote:So how do you like the Blues Jr III? I've sold the Peavey (too loud for my use), but am concerned that I will need to mod/tweak (BillM anyone?) the BJ III so much. Any suggestions on going with the BJ, or going up the Fender Hot Rod III series?

I love this little amp I feel it doesnt need a lot of mods like the older versions I think just tubes and maybe a speaker is all you need to try but you may like it just fine stock, I've tried different tube types and brands but seem to go back to the JJ ECC83S preamp tubes and the JJ Power tubes are very nice as well. The stock Lightning Bolt speaker is a great match with the amp does not sound boxy to my ears and is rock'n when the B-Custom Super Sport is on you got to hear this in a band context it's killer, volume wise the amp is still loud despite being only 15 Watts... highly suggest checking out.
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby jpastras » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 am

My favorite amp is a used Ceriatone TMB 18 watt Marshall clone. For low volume gigs, I LOVE using it, a fuzz, a wah, and the Half Gainer. I wish David would build a wah (I just think he'd do one that was properly giggable), and I also wish I could find a dual unltd. I liked it even better than the Half Gainer, but didn't realize it until I had made the switch. Best Barber pedal ever.

When I hear recording where I was using the dual UNLTD, I always think, "What the hell was I using there? Where is that thing?!?!?!?!"
Strats -> Vintage Reverb Fenders
jpastras

Postby David Barber » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:02 am

jpastras wrote: I also wish I could find a dual unltd. I liked it even better than the Half Gainer, but didn't realize it until I had made the switch. Best Barber pedal ever.

When I hear recording where I was using the dual UNLTD, I always think, "What the hell was I using there? Where is that thing?!?!?!?!"

Thank you!

You never know what the future holds... ;)
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby matt6l6 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I've been using a 1964 AA864 Fender Bassman with the DDSS in front since the DDSS came out. It has withstood challenges from every johnny come lately pedal from all the big boys. The Barber chews them up and spits them out.
matt6l6

Previous

Return to Nuts and Bolts