Is True-Bypass needed for always on effects?

Discuss internal affairs of pedals, guitars, amps and components etc...
Not focused on DIY.

Is True-Bypass needed for always on effects?

Postby hamerman » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:42 pm

In setting up pedal boards, there are some effects I would have on pretty much all the time, like delays or boosters. In particular I find that the Xotic EP-Boost is an always-on pedal for me. I would also think a B-Buff would fall into the same category. Some of these thoughts echo Pete Cornish's view that extensive pedalboards are better off with high quality buffers to overcome loading. Any thoughts?
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Re: Is True-Bypass needed for always on effects?

Postby MullyFX » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm

well if you don't turn your pedal off then it doesn't matter if the bypass is buffered or true bypass.... it will never be bypassed so why should the bypass matter...
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Postby cayle_6 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 am

If you have a chain of true bypass pedals, you would still notice some signal loss. Best to put a buffer before or after the chain.
* 2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE * Fernandes Telecaster
* Blackstar HT-20 Combo with Celestion V30
* CAE Wah | Bogner Ecstasy Blue | Barber Half Gainer | Analogman Comprossor *
cayle_6

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm

In my opinion (now that I know a lot more about pedals, buffers, etc.), Pete Cornish had it right a long time ago, when the rest of us gearheads were still striving for a 100% true-bypass signal chain. I'm sure true-bypass without buffers is fine if you're running 1-2 pedals and a total of about 15' of high-quality instrument cable. But nowadays, with our mega-pedalboards--no way!
hobbyist789

Postby cygnusx1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:43 am

Yeah, Pete Cornish has an amazing response on his web site about this whole thing. I use 2 buffers and the signal sounds pretty much the same as direct plug into the amp.
Dr.Z Maz 38 SR, Avatar 2x12" vintage with scumacks. burn unit, ltd, tone press, noc3 pure drive, Boss ce-3, meistersinger, empress vmsd.
cygnusx1

Postby DreamTheaterRules » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 am

I've tended to use two of my "always on" pedals at the beginning and end of my board. Tone Press #1, Launch Pad last. Those two pedals have been in those positions on my board since I got them. Until I find a Fuzz pedal I love, that will stay as is. Then I might actually have to move the TP to #1 if the fuzz doesn't like it out front. But it will still be #1 in my heart! :D
PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 22 LTD Semi Hollow, new PRS Custom24. PRS Custom 22, EBMM JP12, 50th Anniversary Am/Dlx Strat, Peavey Wolfgang, Ibanez JS 1000 + 79 Artist, Carvin Bolt T (Gibson, Taylor Acoustics)
PRS 2 Channel Custom 50, PRS 2 Channel H, Mesa Boogie Mark V25, Mesa TA 15, Mesa Mini Rectifier, Barber LP, LTDv2, CTP, Fulltone pedals.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4876/singles
DreamTheaterRules

Return to Nuts and Bolts