Speakers for versatile tones in Twin Reverb?

Discuss internal affairs of pedals, guitars, amps and components etc...
Not focused on DIY.

Speakers for versatile tones in Twin Reverb?

Postby Granada » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:59 pm

For many years I have been on a quest to find a simple solution to my tone needs. I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to tones, I just want a nice pretty clean, bluesy tones (leaning towards a nice Tweed Deluxe) & classic rock (JTM45 AC/DC type tones), BUT I really want this all from one amp!

I have lately been experimenting with a 1970 Twin Reverb, and with a Half Gainer or Dual UnLimiTed it's close to doing what I want, but I feel that the speakers just aren't quite right. I currently have some Scumback H75's in there, I have also tried a G12H with an Celestion Gold, thinking that the Alnico speaker would give me a little something special, but it's just not right. I also have some G12-65's that I need to try, but previously these with my JTM45 didn't impress me much. I have a suspicion that I need to try some Eminence speakers in there, possibly the Swamp Thangs, Cannabis Rex or RW&B's but I'm just getting confused by the hundreds of different options available in "Speaker Land".

Alternatively, maybe I just have the wrong amp, my JTM45 is also loosely capable of what I want, but it's a bit lacking in clean headroom, and doesn't quite have the pretty clean I'm looking for, it's close though, and I'm happy to tweak either amp to get to a decent compromise.

Of course, I could spend years trying different things, but I'd like to get to a good solution soon, Any suggestions?
Single coil guitars (Strat & Tele), JTM45 clone, SF Twin Reverb, FoxRox Hot Silicon Fuzz, 1/2 Gainer, Dual UnLimiTeD, Line 6 M13
Granada

Re: Speakers for versatile tones in Twin Reverb?

Postby hobbyist789 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:14 am

Granada wrote:I have a suspicion that I need to try some Eminence speakers in there, possibly the Swamp Thangs, Cannabis Rex or RW&B's but I'm just getting confused by the hundreds of different options available in "Speaker Land".

Yes, it is very confusing out there; I would recommend the Eminence Red White & Blues for nice tones & all-around versatility in your Twin. I've had really good luck with one in my Deluxe Reverb, especially when using all sorts of pedals—from the low-gain LTD-SR all the way up to a high-gain, hot-rodded RAT. Sounds great clean and with overdrive or distortion, at least to my ears.
hobbyist789

Postby David Barber » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

I like the Texas Heat speakers. What have you done to the Silverface Twin to improve the tone? Blackface conversion?
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby hobbyist789 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm

David Barber wrote:I like the Texas Heat speakers.

^ Also a good suggestion.

It might also help to know that the Texas Heat is available in 4-, 8-, or 16-ohm ratings (to suit whatever output your Twin has). The RW&B comes in 8-ohm only.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby Granada » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi David,

TBH, I haven't touched it much. Fender amps are a relatively new thing for me, and I have been slow to understand what it will do, and what I can do with it.. Originally, I was planning on just using it clean, with a JTM45 or Plexi for the dirt.

I now realise that the Twin can get the dirt tones I like with pedals, so I really want to hone the Twin to be my "jack of all trades" amp.

I plan to start off by just giving it a good overhaul (check voltages, cap job, maybe tidy up the lead dress, bias properly), then I'm hoping to mod it for a touch more 3D sound, warmth and harmonic richness. Would Blackfacing sound like the right direction for this?
Single coil guitars (Strat & Tele), JTM45 clone, SF Twin Reverb, FoxRox Hot Silicon Fuzz, 1/2 Gainer, Dual UnLimiTeD, Line 6 M13
Granada

Postby Granada » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:14 pm

8 ohms are fine, my Twin has an 4 ohms OT
Granada

Postby RussB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:42 pm

I really like Celestion Vintage 30's in my Twin. To me, they just sounded fantastic. Big smooth bvass, a bit of a mid bump, and sweet but not brittle highs

Snow White Auto Wah > Tone Press > Octron > CC Hybrid > Aqua-Vibe > B-Buff > Dirty Bomb > Timmy v2 > Turbo Tuner > Carbon Copy > Quantum Leap > Flint - - -18 Watt TMB - - - JCM 800 - - - Single Recto
RussB

Return to Nuts and Bolts