Half-Gainer, Direct Drive, or something else?

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Half-Gainer, Direct Drive, or something else?

Postby justinfox » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey everybody,

I am currently the proud owner of the only overdrive that ever pleased me, a Barber LTD SR. The problem with this, however, is that I would really like to have a pedal that I can get just a hair more gain out of than the LTD. After trying an MI Audio Crunch Box (too harsh), a Fulltone OCD (mids are too scooped), and a Maxon OD-808 as a booster (just...not my taste), I've decided that I'm going to solve the problem with another Barber pedal.

My question is this: does the "green" channel on the Half-Gainer have any more overdrive than my LTD? If not, what Barber pedal will have a tone that is in the same vein as the LTD SR, just with a little more gain on tap?

Thanks!
guitar: Gibson SG w/ Fralin P-92s
amp: Musicman Sixty-Five
cab: Fender DT-412
pedals: Barber LTD SR, Barber Direct Drive (v1), MXR Carbon Copy, Boss EQ

http://www.myspace.com/kiteparty
justinfox

Re: Half-Gainer, Direct Drive, or something else?

Postby DreamTheaterRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:57 am

perhaps a Launch Pad in front of the LTD to push it harder... Or behind it to cook your pre tubes a bit.
PRS 25th Anniversary Custom 22 LTD Semi Hollow, new PRS Custom24. PRS Custom 22, EBMM JP12, 50th Anniversary Am/Dlx Strat, Peavey Wolfgang, Ibanez JS 1000 + 79 Artist, Carvin Bolt T (Gibson, Taylor Acoustics)
PRS 2 Channel Custom 50, PRS 2 Channel H, Mesa Boogie Mark V25, Mesa TA 15, Mesa Mini Rectifier, Barber LP, LTDv2, CTP, Fulltone pedals.
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=4876/singles
DreamTheaterRules

Postby plan-x » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Get a DD for more gain in the Barber vein. :lol:
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Jules-RM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:44 pm

My favorite pedal after the LTD SR is the Super Sport. For my purposes it takes over for the LTD SR when it comes to Mid gain stuff. The way I've set the trim pots the SS sounds very similar to the LTD SR but has a lot more beef to it. I can't recommend it enough.

I've had a Half Gainer on order direct from Barber for about 4 weeks, might have longer shipping times than listed on the site. I'm sure it's more popular than they thought it would be.
Jules-RM

Postby David Barber » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Jules-RM wrote:My favorite pedal after the LTD SR is the Super Sport. For my purposes it takes over for the LTD SR when it comes to Mid gain stuff. The way I've set the trim pots the SS sounds very similar to the LTD SR but has a lot more beef to it. I can't recommend it enough.

I've had a Half Gainer on order direct from Barber for about 4 weeks, might have longer shipping times than listed on the site. I'm sure it's more popular than they thought it would be.

Your order arrived on the 12th and went out last weeks, that puts it at three weeks. UPS says you will have it by the 11th. :)
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby Jules-RM » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 pm

David Barber wrote:
Jules-RM wrote:My favorite pedal after the LTD SR is the Super Sport. For my purposes it takes over for the LTD SR when it comes to Mid gain stuff. The way I've set the trim pots the SS sounds very similar to the LTD SR but has a lot more beef to it. I can't recommend it enough.

Your order arrived on the 12th and went out last weeks, that puts it at three weeks. UPS says you will have it by the 11th. :)

Awesome, will report back when I get it, though I'm pretty sure the gain range might be the same as the regular LTD.

BTW LTD SRs stack GREAT. When recording I go with two LTD SRs stacked for mid gain about half the time, the Super Sport the other. I don't do that live, but it's really handy on tape. I'll try stacking the Half Gainer with my stock LTD SR (no trims were moved) and see how that sounds, I doubt that'll get it to Crunchbox territory, but it should be pretty good.
Jules-RM

Postby justinfox » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:06 am

Please post your findings with the Half-Gainer stacked with the SR on this thread! I bought a used Direct Drive (v1; pre-trim pots, 2002), and although I see the appeal and like it more A LOT more than the Crunch Box and OCD, it just isn't as transparent as I would like. I'm thinking about trying to sell it and move to another LTD SR, but the Half-Gainer really interests me because I could mess with the mids more to make it like a regular LTD if I wanted.

If anyone would be willing to trade a Half-Gainer for this original DD (and cash, if necessary), let me know. justinrobertfox@gmail.com

(If sale ads like that are prohibited, let me know and I will promptly remove it.)
guitar: Gibson SG w/ Fralin P-92s
amp: Musicman Sixty-Five
cab: Fender DT-412
pedals: Barber LTD SR, Barber Direct Drive (v1), MXR Carbon Copy, Boss EQ

http://www.myspace.com/kiteparty
justinfox

Postby Jules-RM » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 pm

justinfox wrote:Please post your findings with the Half-Gainer stacked with the SR on this thread! I bought a used Direct Drive (v1; pre-trim pots, 2002), and although I see the appeal and like it more A LOT more than the Crunch Box and OCD, it just isn't as transparent as I would like. I'm thinking about trying to sell it and move to another LTD SR, but the Half-Gainer really interests me because I could mess with the mids more to make it like a regular LTD if I wanted.

If anyone would be willing to trade a Half-Gainer for this original DD (and cash, if necessary), let me know. justinrobertfox@gmail.com

(If sale ads like that are prohibited, let me know and I will promptly remove it.)

Will do, I might not be able to get to it til Monday - I'm still recovering from surgery to remove a bit of cancerous colon and shouldn't pick anything as heavy as a guitar up until two weeks from the surgery.
Jules-RM

Postby Jules-RM » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Didn't get to it today, but I'll have more time tomorrow. How similar would the sound be between the circuits of a LTD SR and Half Gainer? Should I bother matching the trimpots for bass and presence or should I just use my ears? I know the M knob on the HG should be counter clockwise.

I'll update tomorrow.
Jules-RM

Postby Jules-RM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:44 pm

I've had about a hour to play with my new Half Gainer. It does stack well at lower gain (say 11-2 o'clock) levels but tends to fizz out at high gain level - this is pretty much in line with almost all OD pedals in my experience. There seems to be slightly more gain on tap with the Half Gainer, it might just be the added Mids knob - when you crank it up it does seem to add to the gain. Personally I like the Mids knob all the way down. It doesn't sound exactly like a LTD SR but I can come pretty close. I just LOVE the sound of the stock LTD SR, it's really hard for me to take it off the board, but without doing a side by side comparison it's hard to tell the difference between the two. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the gain levels between the two channels on the HG.

If I were you I'd keep the LTD SR for low gain and give the Super Sport a try for higher gain stuff. They really do compliment each other nicely.
Jules-RM

Next

Return to Barber pedals