Direct Drive SS - no gain beyond unity

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Direct Drive SS - no gain beyond unity

Postby cliphead » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey all, my buddy is bringing in a Direct Drive SS and wvwn with the volume control cranked, there is no gain beyond unity. The other DD he A/B'ed it too worked fine with the same setup. The power was good, coming from a power supply.

Any suggestions of what to check? I am an eleectronics tech, so no problems using a scope, DMM or what have you.

thanks
cliphead

Re: Direct Drive SS - no gain beyond unity

Postby mjcyates » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 pm

I believe I am the person who sold this pedal to your friend. For what it's worth the pedal was functioning perfectly prior to shipping. I am only stating this so if David or Ronni chime it might help them with their diagnosis.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby David Barber » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 am

cliphead wrote:Hey all, my buddy is bringing in a Direct Drive SS and wvwn with the volume control cranked, there is no gain beyond unity. The other DD he A/B'ed it too worked fine with the same setup. The power was good, coming from a power supply.

Any suggestions of what to check? I am an eleectronics tech, so no problems using a scope, DMM or what have you.

thanks

Update your equipment list as per the forum rules so we can attempt to help, thanks!
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby gonzo-x » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:30 pm

just for what it's worth..

i have a DDSS, i run at 18 volts.

i also have a vintage tube amp (mesa boogie mark2b 60w) that has what's called a 'cascading preamp' design, for it's lead channel.
i typically set my lead channel in a CRUNCH setting, then push solo tones with the DDSS.
so, two levels of drive and distortion, to get to my 'signature' sound.

there is a anamoly, of sorts, that occurs when i try to 'boost' a signal into the boogie, when in the lead channel mode...

it acts as if there is a 'GOVERNOR' on the input.
what happens is, once i hit 'unity gain' with the DDSS, then as i dial the volume up to max, i only get more saturation, not more volume.

i don't know if this is what is happening to your setup or not, but i'd suggest this:

take your amp, and set it at it's loudest, cleanest setting.

then, experiment with the direct drive and see how much more volume you can get above UNITY when you're driving a very clean amp with the pedal.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby gonzo-x » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:33 pm

...and this is just to test the pedal.
the difference in gain above unity should be VERY obvious.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Return to Barber pedals