LTD Black with mod board recommended settings

Discuss standard production effect pedals

LTD Black with mod board recommended settings

Postby hamerman » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:52 pm

Greetings:
I've had an LTD Black w/mod board for a while, and haven't really found settings that I like. I have the Silver and SR too, which I like for exactly what they do. I was hoping to get the Black to give me a better lead tone. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for with this pedal, since I'd like to exploit its basic character. I don't want to try to sound like some other pedal, but to complement either the Silver or SR.
Thanks
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Re: LTD Black with mod board recommended settings

Postby David Barber » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:57 am

Update your sig as per the rules so we can be of help...we need as much info as possible about your rig and the sounds you want if you would like accurate helpful info.

The prime concept of this forum is, to be a "Players Forum". To make this a "Players Forum" everyone who posts should have a basic equipment list and a sound clip on their signature, or in the "sounds of Barber" section. If we keep this a Players forum, and not just another redundant bunch of guys/gals throwing vaguely/possibly pertinent advise, we actually get to know the people we are taking advise from! Lets keep this basic rule of the forum well enforced, while this may take a little effort to get setup, the benefits of players getting and giving advise to people with similar style and sounds will offer a better online environment that gets to the core of tones without waste.

Thank you! :)
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby hamerman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:35 am

Sorry David - I fixed that after I posted the question. Hopefully the equipment list will show now.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Postby hamerman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 am

Let's try the signature again. Sorry about the multiple posts.
hamerman

Postby David Barber » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 pm

What types of "lead sound" are you going for? I would take a rough guess that you should have the gain switch "on" and the mids set a little higher (for thickness). What kind of speakers are you running? What is the main complaint with the sound you are getting at the moment?
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
David Barber

Postby hamerman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:18 pm

I've got the Princetons loaded with Eminence Copperheads and the Princetons are from 63 and 64 fully maintained. One thing I am looking for is what I find is the sweet, singing quality I get with the Silver and the SR, but with more mids like a Tube Screamer. Oddly enough, the black LTD seems less compressed than the Silver or SR, to me.
I've got a collection of dual op amps that I could try swapping out. I have the BB that works so well in my DD :D , an LM 833, JRC 4558 and 4559. I think I also have a TL027. I tried it with the 4558D tonight, and having the gain switch on gave it a nice kick. I also liked the second assymetry switch down and the first up. I'm not sure I like the 4558D better than the stock chip, though. I may just need to fiddle with it some more, as there are so many things to tweak. I'm still trying to get a sense of what each thing does with the LTD. Oddly enough, I could zoom right in on the sounds I liked with the DD/w mod board. Maybe I have a better idea of what I was expecting there. I sense that magic is in the LTD somewhere, I've just got to find it.
hamerman

Postby David Barber » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm

hamerman wrote:I've got the Princetons loaded with Eminence Copperheads and the Princetons are from 63 and 64 fully maintained. One thing I am looking for is what I find is the sweet, singing quality I get with the Silver and the SR, but with more mids like a Tube Screamer. Oddly enough, the black LTD seems less compressed than the Silver or SR, to me.
I've got a collection of dual op amps that I could try swapping out. I have the BB that works so well in my DD :D , an LM 833, JRC 4558 and 4559. I think I also have a TL027. I tried it with the 4558D tonight, and having the gain switch on gave it a nice kick. I also liked the second assymetry switch down and the first up. I'm not sure I like the 4558D better than the stock chip, though. I may just need to fiddle with it some more, as there are so many things to tweak. I'm still trying to get a sense of what each thing does with the LTD. Oddly enough, I could zoom right in on the sounds I liked with the DD/w mod board. Maybe I have a better idea of what I was expecting there. I sense that magic is in the LTD somewhere, I've just got to find it.

Try rolling the presence trim way back (1/4 max), turn the mids to full up, bass no more than 1/2 up and the note shape at no more than 1/4 up, then dial the tone knob on top the unit to suite the rig. Did you try the 4559D?
David Barber

Postby hamerman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:22 pm

David Barber wrote:
hamerman wrote:I've got the Princetons loaded with Eminence Copperheads and the Princetons are from 63 and 64 fully maintained. One thing I am looking for is what I find is the sweet, singing quality I get with the Silver and the SR, but with more mids like a Tube Screamer. Oddly enough, the black LTD seems less compressed than the Silver or SR, to me.

Try rolling the presence trim way back (1/4 max), turn the mids to full up, bass no more than 1/2 up and the note shape at no more than 1/4 up, then dial the tone knob on top the unit to suite the rig. Did you try the 4559D?

All these suggestions together did the trick. I have the 4559 in, PreBass Adjust at 10 o'clock, gain switch on, assymmetry 1 off, assymetry 2 on, fizz filter on, Midrange full up (5 o'clock), Fizz Filter at noon, Bass at 11 o'clock, Presence at 9:30. The 4559 is a little smoother and glassier, the 4558D is a bit fatter. I like both, but the 4559 is really what I was looking for. The 4558D is more like a fat Tube Screamer, the 4559 more Silver LTDish. Thank you so much for the advice. It really NAILS what I wanted.
hamerman

Postby Keef Riffers » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm

hey all. First post. No need for a new thread I dont think.

I have just purchased an used LTD SR with mod board.

I wanted to get reccomended settings to get it close to the original LTD silver specs.

Any suggestions?

I have had the LTD SR and LTD black and did not like them nearly as much as the LTD silver.

I have had a total of 3 silver LTDs I think.

I would get some new od pedal, AM KOT, AC booster or Klon or whatever and think that it was the "new" pedal for my board but would always go missing my silver eventually.

Now I cant seem to get my hands on a silver so I have to make due with this LTD SR.

Thanks!!!
telecaster w/fralin (7800~ish) pickups and Gibson SG fralin split-coil "twangmasters" -->stereo amps
left side- 70s silver face princeton with p12r jensen.
right side- 70s silver face vibro champ with p10r jensen.
Champ is run at volume of around 7 and front end of champ is goosed with an ibanez GE 9 equalizer. right now main princeton OD is skreddy skrewdriver set low. Lead is a landgraff MO'D clone.
Keef Riffers

Postby Keef Riffers » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Well i guess the "stock" or "flat" settings for the MOD board would be useful too.

Thanks guys!
telecaster w/fralin (7800~ish) pickups and Gibson SG fralin split-coil "twangmasters" -->stereo amps
left side- 70s silver face princeton with p12r jensen.
right side- 70s silver face vibro champ with p10r jensen.
Champ is run at volume of around 7 and front end of champ is goosed with an ibanez GE 9 equalizer. right now main princeton OD is skreddy skrewdriver set low. Lead is a landgraff MO'D clone.
Keef Riffers

Next

Return to Barber pedals