Direct Drive old vs new

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Direct Drive old vs new

Postby misterjim » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi all. I just picked up a 2002 DD on ebay. I really like it as I was looking for a low gain pedal that gives me that just over the edge of breakup sound. The only thing is that it seems a little thin in the low end. I just ordered a new one online and should have it next week. It will be interesting to compare the two. I see the new ones have internal trimmers for low end and prescense. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Gain-wise is sounds perfect. I tcould be my low gain grail if I can just add a little fullness to it. Anyone else have the older unit without the internal trimpots?

I had called David and he actually returned my call but I wasn't available so instead of playing phone tag I stopped by here. Not too many pedal makers out there where you can still talk to the boss! Nice to still have that. Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and introduce myself! :D
I am not an animal!!!! I----am----a----musician!!
Lefty Fender Strat w/warmoth neck, Lefty Gibson LP studio, Lefty Jackson Dinky.
Ceriatone '66 era JTM45 clone, 2 custom made 2x12 cabs with greenbacks, TC Electronic G-Force, Voodoo Lab GC Pro and Pedal Power 2, expression pedal, RMC8 Eqwahlizer, Morley LIl Alligator, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss NS-2, Barber DD (2002), Lovepedal Kalamazoo, MI Audio Crunch Box, Fender PT-100
misterjim

Re: Direct Drive old vs new

Postby plan-x » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:32 am

Welcome aboard and to the home of internal trimmers. :lol:
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby David Barber » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:36 am

misterjim wrote:Hi all. I just picked up a 2002 DD on ebay. I really like it as I was looking for a low gain pedal that gives me that just over the edge of breakup sound. The only thing is that it seems a little thin in the low end. I just ordered a new one online and should have it next week. It will be interesting to compare the two. I see the new ones have internal trimmers for low end and prescense. Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Gain-wise is sounds perfect. I tcould be my low gain grail if I can just add a little fullness to it. Anyone else have the older unit without the internal trimpots?

I had called David and he actually returned my call but I wasn't available so instead of playing phone tag I stopped by here. Not too many pedal makers out there where you can still talk to the boss! Nice to still have that. Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and introduce myself! :D

The Newer DD has more bass on tap thanks to enhanced RIAA style circuit, the Super Sport gives you the ability to back the mids down if needed to aid in "feeling" the bass...though, I bet the DD works out great. ;)
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby mjcyates » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:24 am

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and introduce myself!

Welcome!

Anyone else have the older unit without the internal trimpots?

I do and it's my all time favorite. I have had just about everyone of David's creations, and while they are all great, I still like this one the best.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby misterjim » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:21 am

[quoteI do and it's my all time favorite. I have had just about everyone of David's creations, and while they are all great, I still like this one the best.][/quote]

Do you use it as a low gain pedal? How about the boost pull pot? I'm running it with the tone at 1:00 and boost on, gain about 9:30.
Thanks for the replies.
Ceriatone '66 era JTM45 clone, 2 custom made 2x12 cabs with greenbacks, TC Electronic G-Force, Voodoo Lab GC Pro and Pedal Power 2, expression pedal, RMC8 Eqwahlizer, Morley LIl Alligator, MXR Dyna Comp, Boss NS-2, Barber DD (2002), Lovepedal Kalamazoo, MI Audio Crunch Box, Fender PT-100
misterjim

Postby mjcyates » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:48 pm

I use it as a mid gain pedal mostly. Tone at 11:00, Drive around 1:00, push pull pot in. Volume set to unity.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby misterjim » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Well I got my new DD today and I must say I like this new version more! I just seems more responsive with usable gain from low to max! I did tweak the bass trimmer for just a little more low end. Now it's perfect!!

Great pedal David!! :D
misterjim

Return to Barber pedals