Old Burn Unit questions

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Old Burn Unit questions

Postby LexLuthier » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:56 pm

New guy here. I have this old Burn Unit (4 knobber) that I bought 11 years ago. I pulled it out and started using again, and I'm digging it a lot. Now that I have been using it a lot, I'm not sure why I stopped using it in the first place???

Dumb question #1: I'm trying to remember what the internal pot was for, it's been so long since I fiddled with it that I forgot what it did. ?

Dumb question #2: I see the Burn Unit has changed considerably since I bought mine, is there a difference in tone with the new ones?
Les Pauls, ES-345, Stratocasters, Telecasters, Yamaha Weddingtons, Yamaha Images, Charvel, Hamers, Dean, DeArmond, Gretsch, and other assorted guitars
Fender, Marshall, Fatboy, Pearce, Lab, Roland, Peavey, Kitty Hawk, Yamaha, and a few misc amplifiers.
Barber Burn Unit, old 4 knobber from 1999.
Too many other pedals to list.
LexLuthier

Re: Old Burn Unit questions

Postby hamerman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:05 am

I have one of the newest ones (six external knobs with loop jacks). I think the main differences are the internal trim knobs adjust bass and presence, and you get two volume-gain settings that can be switched. The red and green channels on mine are identical. You can just preset each for a given volume and gain. The tone and dynamics are shared between the two channels. The Small Fry is a single channel Burn Unit with an external switch for clipping adjustment, and three interior controls for bass, mids and presence. You might want to check yours to see if there is a B or P near the knob. On the Burn Unit I have, there was a letter etched into the PC board. I can't say if there was a change in the tone between the old one and the new one, having never heard an old one. Dave will have to comment on that. They do market the BU I have as the Burn Unit with EQ, so I suspect that it is due to the additional tone adjustments. My Burn Unit and Small Fry are pretty similar in sound, depending on the EQ settings and the toggle switch position. You can make the Small Fry sound like a Burn Unit, but the Small Fry has a lot more sounds in it.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Re: Old Burn Unit questions

Postby David Barber » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:38 pm

LexLuthier wrote:New guy here. I have this old Burn Unit (4 knobber) that I bought 11 years ago. I pulled it out and started using again, and I'm digging it a lot. Now that I have been using it a lot, I'm not sure why I stopped using it in the first place???

Dumb question #1: I'm trying to remember what the internal pot was for, it's been so long since I fiddled with it that I forgot what it did. ?

Dumb question #2: I see the Burn Unit has changed considerably since I bought mine, is there a difference in tone with the new ones?

The EQ model can achieve the sounds of the older Burn Unit and it can dial in new sounds too.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Return to Barber pedals