planning new amp for the direct drive

Discuss standard production effect pedals

planning new amp for the direct drive

Postby browndream » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:11 am

Hey everybody, I'm new here. I need a new practice tube amp that sounds good with the direct drive. My budget is $200. Fender champion 600 and Vox ac4tv8/ac4tvmini are great. How do these amps sound with the DD? Any opinions/sound clips? Many thanks.
Ibanez RG370, Barber Direct drive, Vox AC4TV, Vox Pathfinder 15R
browndream

Re: planning new amp for the direct drive

Postby hobbyist789 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:54 am

browndream wrote:Hey everybody, I'm new here. I need a new practice tube amp that sounds good with the direct drive. My budget is $200. Fender champion 600 and Vox ac4tv8/ac4tvmini are great. How do these amps sound with the DD? Any opinions/sound clips? Many thanks.

Dare I say it, but in that price range you'd be better-off sticking with a good/decent solid-state amp. I like the Peavey TransTube series--you can even snag a nice-condition 1x12 model off eBay for around that price, which would be a very versatile setup for practice and jams. They take pedals pretty well, too, so just stick with the clean channel and use the DD pedal for overdrive/distortion, etc.
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby David Barber » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:22 pm

browndream wrote:Hey everybody, I'm new here. I need a new practice tube amp that sounds good with the direct drive. My budget is $200. Fender champion 600 and Vox ac4tv8/ac4tvmini are great. How do these amps sound with the DD? Any opinions/sound clips? Many thanks.

Man, that's a tough price point. I don't like cheap amps with 8" speakers and less than 5 watts much, it's a recipe for electric kazoo sound. I would try to find something with a little power and at least a 10" speaker, that way you have some versatility. From what I can see look at the Fender Mustang II 40W 1x12, Roland CUBE-40XL 40W 1x10 and if you gotta have the small speaker small watts sound you might look at the Fender Vibro Champ XD because it has more EQ than most amps that size, which will help dial out the "small sound".

Pedals work best into an amp that has some dynamics and guts, modern pedals can carry more of the workload so a good clean sound is the most important thing, I'd probably find the least sterile sounding solid state amp in that price range. It's a shame you can't still get the Crate Powerblock on sale for $99, that was a steal of a versatile amp!
Last edited by David Barber on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby hamerman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Ditto on the Power Block. I picked up two at $99, and worth every cent.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:54 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-JSX-Mini-Col ... 500wt_1045

peavey jsx mini colossal.

a great little 5 watt all tube amp, i owned one for a while.

takes the barber pedals wonderfully.
designed by joe satriani.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby David Barber » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 pm

I was in a local shop today and saw has a new Super champ that's 15 watts tube power and has a 10" speaker for $250, that seemed like a nice deal at that price range. I wish they would leave all the DSP off these cheaper amps and just make a solid little clean amp, but everybody wants iPod functionality. :D

I also wish they were not all super cheap Chinese amps, I can't really support underpaying Chinese "employees" so we can have dirt cheap electronics...and an unemployed workforce. Another thing to consider when you try to "go cheap", the cost of ownership of cheap gear is often VERY costly. If it eats tubes like mad, or costs $50 every time you need to reflow the terminals of the input jack, you might as well buy a nicer amp that can be serviced for less, and operates the output tubes at a less pernicious potential or draw....don't forget how much all those mods and new speaker might cost to get that "cheap amp" sounding just right. :mrgreen:
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 pm

jsx mini........

made in usa.
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby mjcyates » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 pm

I have a Blackheart Little Giant 5 watt 1x12 combo. I plug my mostly Barber board into it and it sounds great. I don't know what the going price is now but you can probably get one near your price.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Return to Barber pedals