New to forum

Discuss standard production effect pedals

New to forum

Postby steam-powered » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 am

I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. After playing acoustics for twenty years, I bought my first electric guitar fourteen months ago (a PRS 22 Semi-hollow, ltd.) and a week ago purchased a PRS DC3. My most used pedal is the Barber LTD v2, which gets used with the tone set half-way and the drive all the way down to add depth to the Dupont MD-50 gypsy jazz guitar. It also perfectly serves my need for low-gain distortion with the PRS guitars. I primarily play jazz and blues on the semi-hollow, and blues/rock on the DC3.

Last year, when I was looking for an American-made low-gain pedal, I had no idea where to start looking, as I'm new to the world of "electrics". After testing out a whole bunch of pedals as several local shops, I was quite dissapointed in everything I tried. First, I didn't want a slave-made pedal. Second, nearly every pedal readily available seemed geared for heavy metal and other high-gain types of sounds. While searching the internet for "low-gain distortion pedal", I discovered Barber Electronics. After talking with Dave about my needs, he recommended the LTD. I'll be honest, I was skeptical, as I had tested out a LOT of pedals and not one came close to the tone I sought. It only took a few minutes with my LTD to dispell my doubts: this was the EXACT pedal I was seeking!

Being so happy with the LTD, I bought the Trifecta fuzz a few months later. What sold me on the Trifecta was the sludge control and push/pull on the tone. None of the other fuzz pedals I tested were as versatile, so full of tonal possibilities. In all honesty, I rarely use the fuzz, but I like knowing it's there for those times when I need "that" sound. Quite a few of my friends tried out my Trifecta were equally impressed with the ability to roll back the amount of bass with the sludge. This was the feature that sold me on the Barber fuzz over all the others I tested out.
Last edited by steam-powered on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
PRS DC3 PRS 22 Semi-Hollow, LTD, Gibson Studio w/burstbuckers
Barber LTD Fulltone mini Deja' vibe, Clyde Wah Sunface NKT275 red dot
Rivera Venus 3 (1x12)
steam-powered

Re: New to forum

Postby David Barber » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 am

steam-powered wrote:I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. After playing acoustics for twenty years, I bought my first electric guitar fourteen months ago (a PRS Custom 22 Semi-hollow, ltd.) and a week ago purchased a PRS DC3. My most used pedal is the Barber LTD V2, which gets used with the tone set half-way and the drive all the way down to add depth to the Dupont MD-50 gypsy jazz guitar. It also perfectly serves my need for low-gain distortion with the PRS guitars. I primarily play jazz and blues on the semi-hollow, and blues/rock on the DC3.

Last year, when I was looking for an American-made low-gain pedal, I had no idea where to start looking, as I'm new to the world of "electrics". After testing out a whole bunch of pedals as several local shops, I was quite dissapointed in everything I tried. First, I didn't want a slave-made pedal. Second, nearly every pedal readily available seemed geared for heavy metal and other high-gain types of sounds. While searching the internet for "low-gain distortion pedal", I discovered Barber Electronics. After talking with Dave about my needs, he recommended the LTD. I'll be honest, I was skeptical, as I had tested out a LOT of pedals and not one came close to the tone I sought. It only took a few minutes with my LTD to dispell my doubts: this was the EXACT pedal I was seeking!

Being so happy with the LTD, I bought the Trifecta fuzz a few months later. What sold me on the Trifecta was the sludge control and push/pull on the tone. None of the other fuzz pedals I tested were as versatile, so full of tonal possibilities. In all honesty, I rarely use the fuzz, but I like knowing it's there for those times when I need "that" sound. Quite a few of my friends tried out my Trifecta were equally impressed with the ability to roll back the amount of bass with the sludge. This was the feature that sold me on the Barber fuzz over all the others I tested out.

Welcome to the forum!!

It's good to hear you like your LTD v2, the low gain pedals have really gained popularity...which is a nice change from the high gain 80's...it only took about 25 years! :D

The sludge control and push/pull on the Trifecta are what sold me on the idea of building and marketing a fuzz! ;)

Thank you!!
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby plan-x » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:23 am

That's where I started....the LTD. The adventure begins. :lol: I ended up tasting many of Davids' offerings.
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Alex Lefty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Yeah, I did the same by starting with the LTD. Such an amazing drive/boost pedal!!!!!!!!!! Cheers from Brazil!!!!!!

I'm new to the forum as well, and I'd like to thank David and the whole crew for the awesome job they have done. I'm a Barber fan ever since, so I got the Dirty Bomb and Trifecta also, and they are keepers!!!!!!! But still a bit difficult to get my hands on their pedals around here, anyway......

LTD v2: Use it as a booster or as a drive with the amp (Boogie DC-3) a bit crunch. It suits me very well, I play Blues/Funk/Rock kinda sound. The clarity, sound and easy to dial is what I like about it. This is the most abused, use it a lot.

Dirty Bomb: It's a very versatile drive/distortion pedal. Use it for solos, rhythms and crunchier sounds backing my guitar volume. My friend wants to buy it but I'm not gonna sell it, I'm using it!!!!!!!!

Trifecta v2: Impossible not to find a great fuzz sound throught your gear, a lot of dialing options. Use it for a lot of Rock stuff, Hendrix kinda solos and Lenny's Are You Gonna Go My Way!!!!! Every guitarist should own a fuzz and I found mine.

What I really loved about all 3 pedals is:

1 - It really works with my gear (it has to)
2 - It's easy to dial the sounds I want (need to be simple, I use strats and LP)
3 - They really match the website descriptions (get what you expect)

Looking forward for the The Half Gainer, Tone Press and Small Fry. Barber rules!!!!!!!!
Guitar: Fender Strat Jimi Hendrix (Fralin's Woodstock 69), Suhr S3 HSS, Gibson LP Traditional
Amp: Mesa Boogie DC-3 Combo 1x12 Vintage 30, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Blackstar HT-5R
Pedal: LTD v2, Trifecta v2, Dirty Bomb, BB Preamp, RC Booster, EP Booster, OCD, Plimsoul, Octafuzz, Maxon SD-9, Amp 50, EWS Arion Chorus, Diamond Compressor, Supa-Trem, Echobox, DD-20, RV-7, Whammy, RMC 5, RMC 6, CAE Wah, Line 6 M9.
Alex Lefty

Postby Alex Lefty » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Oh, here is my rig.

Guitar: Fender Strat (Hendrix mirror headstock with Lindy Fralin's Woodstock), Lefty Suhr S3 HSS, Lefty LP Traditional
Amp: Mesa Boogie DC-3 Combo 1x12 Vintage 30
Pedal: LTD v2, Trifecta v2, Dirty Bomb, OCD, Plimsoul, Octafuzz, Maxon SD-9, BB Preamp, RC Booster, EP Booster, Amp 50, EWS Arion Chorus, Diamond Compressor, Echobox, DD-20, RV-7, Whammy, RMC 5, RMC 6.

By the way, how do I put these informations on the bottom?
Guitar: Fender Strat Jimi Hendrix (Fralin's Woodstock 69), Suhr S3 HSS, Gibson LP Traditional
Amp: Mesa Boogie DC-3 Combo 1x12 Vintage 30, Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, Blackstar HT-5R
Pedal: LTD v2, Trifecta v2, Dirty Bomb, BB Preamp, RC Booster, EP Booster, OCD, Plimsoul, Octafuzz, Maxon SD-9, Amp 50, EWS Arion Chorus, Diamond Compressor, Supa-Trem, Echobox, DD-20, RV-7, Whammy, RMC 5, RMC 6, CAE Wah, Line 6 M9.
Alex Lefty

Postby plan-x » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey Alex, to get the info down at the bottom, click into "User Control Panel" in the upper left hand corner of this page. Then enter into the "Profile" tab, then drop down and enter into "Edit signature" and start typing. :D
Plan-x
http://www.myspace.com/wichmanbrewster

Gain-Changer Tone Press (w/B-Buff) I Have had most Barbers
Timmy, Zendrive (Chorus, delay & wah....the usual stuff)
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Classic 2x12 combo / Traynor YCV-40 head conv / Cabs 1x12's, Detuned 2x12's (Stereo rig)

Parker Fly deluxe S2 (HSS), Nitefly P (HH)
plan-x

Postby Alex Lefty » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks plan-x, let's see if it's working now.
Alex Lefty

Postby steam-powered » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 am

Just got some new recording software, still trying to figure it out. I plan on recording several of my guitars using the v2. It sounds especially nice to my ears playing my MD-50 with a Dupont Stimer reissue pickup. The first week of November I'll be spending a few days trying to get some good clips here.
PRS DC3 PRS 22 Semi-Hollow, LTD, Gibson Studio w/burstbuckers
Barber LTD Fulltone mini Deja' vibe, Clyde Wah Sunface NKT275 red dot
Rivera Venus 3 (1x12)
steam-powered

Return to Barber pedals