NEW Barber Gain-Changer!

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Re: NEW Barber Gain-Changer!

Postby pwm » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:58 pm

David Barber wrote:
pwm wrote:
Is this still a valid ETA, or has the GC pedal pushed back the availability of the larger version? Thanks!

Next run of Gain Changers is due January 31st. Orders will most likely be accpeted one week ahead (24th). There is no wait-list available for Barber products.

The regular sized version should become available by March.

Thank you! I'm still deciding between full size, internal adjustments and battery clip, or the smaller size with preset mids. Sometimes, for me, too much of a good thing can be too much. With your pedals, though, (LTD v2 and B-Custom Super Sport) I have been able to set and forget. Thanks again.
pwm

Postby mjcyates » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Received my Gain Changer last week. I was originally going to use it to replace my LTD v2 which I use as a lead boost. After playing with it I am going to keep the LTD v2 where it is and use the Gain Changer in my low gain spot. The beauty of it is I dialed in the low gain tone that I liked and found that just by switching the gain toggle to the left and the eq toggle to the middle I get a really rocking tone that is different than the Direct Drive that I normally use. Awesome pedal. Looking forward to the compact Direct Drive.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby Toggle » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I expect the new Direct Drive is keeping you guys busy enough around here, but I'm just checking back to see if there's any news on the full size Gain Changer.

Thanks!

Tom
Telecaster, 'LP Jr. mostly; 1x12 homebrew Princeton Reverb mostly; LTD v1, modded Rat 2, big box Deluxe Memory Man mostly.
http://tomgavin.bandcamp.com
Toggle

Postby davecz » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:06 am

David Barber wrote:any dates for the BIG version Dave....? forgive the question when this new model is not even in the stores yet....i just had to know

I'd look for them in January

Is this still a valid ETA, or has the GC pedal pushed back the availability of the larger version? Thanks

Next run of Gain Changers is due January 31st. Orders will most likely be accpeted one week ahead (24th). There is no wait-list available for Barber products.

I'm lost a bit .. is there going to be a larger version of the GC available this month?? Thanks
Partsocaster - Fender body, USA Customes neck, Suhr F/L pickups, Callaham hardware.

1984 Yamaha SBG-3000

Rivera S120 head, 1 X 12 cabs, Celestion somethings (I forget, cabs are closed back)

71 Fender Super Reverb, 69 modded Bassman, 77 Deluxe Reverb

Pedals - Turbo tuner, Skreddy Lunar Module, Barber DDSS, Barber GC, Strymon Mobius, Foxrox Paradox TZF, Strymon Timeline, Stereo Wet.
davecz

Postby David Barber » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:24 pm

davecz wrote:
David Barber wrote:any dates for the BIG version Dave....? forgive the question when this new model is not even in the stores yet....i just had to know

I'd look for them in January

Is this still a valid ETA, or has the GC pedal pushed back the availability of the larger version? Thanks

I'm lost a bit .. is there going to be a larger version of the GC available this month?? Thanks

The possibility exists, but I'd guess April for an official announcement of the Gain Changer with additional features and battery compartment.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby mjcyates » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Got to use my new Gain Changer for the first time at church this weekend. Sounded great. Had the right toggle on low gain and the left toggle to the far left position, volume about 11:00, tone about 11:00, drive at about 1:00. Sat real well in the mix.
Musicman Silhouette, Reverend Warhawk, Fender Telecaster ('78), Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with Texas Heat, Blackheart Little Giant combo
Barber Tone Press, Barber Direct Drive, Barber Dirty Bomb, Barber LTD v1, Barber Barb EQ, Barber Tone Pump EQ, Garagetone Drivetrain, Nova Repeater, Ernie Ball Vp Jr., Korg Pitchblack
mjcyates

Postby J.LaGrassa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Got my Gain Changer today and think it sounds awesome, love the versatility the 2 toggle switches provide. My main use for the pedal will be as a low gainer once the compact DD arrives but until then I will be playing with the higher gain tones on the Gain Changer, love the dual personality this pedal provides!
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - Barber Gain Changer - Barber Compact Direct Drive - Boss DD3 Delay - Clean Boost
J.LaGrassa

Postby David Barber » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:51 pm

J.LaGrassa wrote:Got my Gain Changer today and think it sounds awesome, love the versatility the 2 toggle switches provide. My main use for the pedal will be as a low gainer once the compact DD arrives but until then I will be playing with the higher gain tones on the Gain Changer, love the dual personality this pedal provides!

Thanks John, positive-reinforcement is always appreciated!! I lose more hours to "testing" the new compact Direct Drive than to building them. I need to get on my next three bigger box projects after we catch up to production. I'm really lucky to have such a great staff at the moment. I was able to hire back some of the best builders I have had over the years (Dave Sachs, Jen Greener, Britt Steel) + the perpetual Ronni to knock out the current stock at the higher build quality available. I'll most likely need at least one more builder to keep up with the Gain Changer +, 4 knob Direct Drive and DD-DC when they come out. Should be a fun year to assert our presence as hand-built yet non-boutique pedals...since 1997!
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby MullyFX » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 am

this just found its way home...

GC.jpg
GC.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 9264 times

this is just what the doctor ordered.... buttery smooth
love the toggles, love the sound, love the look, love the size, love the price
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

Postby MullyFX » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:51 pm

it is slightly different than the unlimited though.... (frequency wise) wonder if the different timbre is due to the JRC4558 used in the GainChanger (instead of the 4559 used in the unlimited) or if it's due to the different components. can't comment on the LTD side, since I never had an LTD (in any shape or form). the Gain Changer sounds a bit bigger and bolder, the unlimited is a tiny bit throatier. To me it sounds like the difference a note shape control would make (while the GC sounds like the note shape control is set a little higher/more clockwise and the Unlimited sounds like the note shape control would be set lower / counterclockwise) - neither has a note shape control but that's what it sounds like to me....

the price / performance ratio is second to none.... amazingly inexpensive for what you get!
Last edited by MullyFX on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guitar: Gibson The Paul, Taranaki Proto #2
Pickups: David Barfuss P33F
Barber Pedals: Trifecta, RedTonePress, BarbEQ
Other Pedals: TS808HW
Amp: Emery Sound Microbaby
Music: http://fallowdeerfawn.bandcamp.com/
MullyFX

PreviousNext

Return to Barber pedals