Amp cooking / Launch Pad

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Amp cooking / Launch Pad

Postby Luca » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Hello everyone! Very happy Tone Press user here!

I came across the "How to cook a tube amp" article by David a while ago and it captured my interest.
With my rig (Telecaster into Tweed Bassman) I always find that my dirt pedals (especially fuzzes) work bad if the amp is set too clean, let's say below 4.5 on the volume knob. They get buzzy, thin and just unpleasant to hear.
When the amp is turned up at its sweet spot, barely breaking up, everything works better.
Now, the problem is that setting the amp at 4.5 as a semi-clean platform for pedals makes things too loud for my needs.
If I step on a boost (first or last in the chain), the amp is hitted harder, the sound improves, but again: too loud.

I was wondering if the "cooking method", using a Launch Pad at the end of the chain, will ensure that nice interaction between amp and pedals that occurs when the amp is turned up enough, but keeping the volume at a lower level (let's say amp set at 3-3.5).

What's the best option to approach this situation (other than using a lower wattage amp ;) )?

Thanks.
Luca

Re: Amp cooking / Launch Pad

Postby David Barber » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Yes, the LP should help at the end of the chain. The LP will not help of the problem is speakers that need volume to overcome "hi fi" qualities at low volume. What speakers are you using?
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby Luca » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks for the reply David.
The amp is a Victoria tweed Bassman with 4 Jensen P10R speakers.
Those speakers are beautiful played clean or slightly pushed, but they become a little harsh in the high-end and farty in the lows when pushed at higher volumes. I'm searching around for better speakers, but I still have no precise idea of what are the best for this circuit (suggestions anyone?)

So, will the LP work for me, really without any volume increase? Why if I do the same thing you describe with a Klon or other boosters, I get the cooking effect together with a ton of volume added? It's that amount of volume that I'd like to tame.

Thanks
Luca

Postby RussB » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:11 pm

you need an attenuator

Snow White Auto Wah > Tone Press > Octron > CC Hybrid > Aqua-Vibe > B-Buff > Dirty Bomb > Timmy v2 > Turbo Tuner > Carbon Copy > Quantum Leap > Flint - - -18 Watt TMB - - - JCM 800 - - - Single Recto
RussB

Postby admin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 pm

Luca wrote:Thanks for the reply David.
The amp is a Victoria tweed Bassman with 4 Jensen P10R speakers.
Those speakers are beautiful played clean or slightly pushed, but they become a little harsh in the high-end and farty in the lows when pushed at higher volumes. I'm searching around for better speakers, but I still have no precise idea of what are the best for this circuit (suggestions anyone?)

So, will the LP work for me, really without any volume increase? Why if I do the same thing you describe with a Klon or other boosters, I get the cooking effect together with a ton of volume added? It's that amount of volume that I'd like to tame.

Thanks

You will be able to turn the volume down on your amp, no worries about extra volume, we are only hitting the first stage harder, then attenuating with the volume knob of the amp.

I like Eminence ragin cajun best when working any sort of overdrive and clean combo.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, Dimarzio pickups Area T 615, Area T neck, Area 61 & 58, PAF® 36th Anniversary, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby hobbyist789 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:56 pm

This is not entirely in the same vein as the original post, but nonetheless applicable to "amp cooking." I just came across these insights from FX guru Roger Mayer:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... Mayer.aspx

His advice on hitting the first preamp tube sounds pretty darned close to David's "amp cooking" procedure. Imagine that!
Have or have owned:
B-buff|Launch Pad|Tone Press|Compact Tone Press|LTD|LTD-SR|Gain Changer|Gain Changer SR|DD-LG Mod PCB|Small Fry|unLimiTeD|Direct Drive|Compact Direct Drive|Super Sport|B.U.S.S.|Dirty Bomb|Trifecta|Exacta
hobbyist789

Postby gonzo-x » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:22 pm

i have been experimenting with this for quite a while...

i have a DDSS and a TP....

but use another brand pedal (aw c'mon, now, settle down out there.....) for my 'boost'.

that said, my feeling is that there is only really one spot for an amp, and that is it's 'Sweet Spot'.

and you cannot force it, it just is, what it is.

that said, once i found my sweet spot on my amp, where the boost is getting it 'cooking', and everything is playing nice together, at that point, i'm incredibly loud (60 watt tube head).

so

i use an attenuator.

works perfect.

set the amp where it need to be, then use the attenuator to get the output volume where IT needs to be.

my solution, anyways....
Barber Katrina Relief DDSS, Barber Tone press, Carvin DC200K, Williams Special, USACG strat, '81 Mesa Boogie Mark IIb head, Avatar vintage cab w/Heritage g12h, Yamaha DG Stomp, asstd. other pedals
gonzo-x

Postby hamerman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 am

With regard to speakers, I've had good luck with Eminence Copperheads in my Princetons. I've already read that Celestion is making a new 10" speaker that is supposed to catch a lot of the "Greenback" vibe.
Fender Strat Plus with Lindy Fralin and Duncan JB pickups, Hamer Special and Special FM; Egnater Tweaker, Blackface Fender Princetons and Bassman; Barber Dual UnLimiTed; DD w/mod board, LTD Silver and SR, Dual Direct Drive, Small Fry, Dirty Bomb, Tone Press, CDD and GC; MXR Phasers and Flanger; Strymon El Capistan Delay, Corona Chorus, Vortex Flanger, Strymon Lex.
hamerman

Return to Barber pedals