LTD and EL84's

Discuss standard production effect pedals

LTD and EL84's

Postby RussB » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 pm

I read on the internet (so it MUST be true!) that the LTD doesn't work well with EL84 powered tube amps.

fact or fiction? are all el84 amps the same?

Snow White Auto Wah > Tone Press > Octron > CC Hybrid > Aqua-Vibe > B-Buff > Dirty Bomb > Timmy v2 > Turbo Tuner > Carbon Copy > Quantum Leap > Flint - - -18 Watt TMB - - - JCM 800 - - - Single Recto
RussB

Re: LTD and EL84's

Postby David Barber » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 pm

It was a misquote, low gain pedals are the easiest to match to amps. An EL84 does not have a particular sound until it has a preamp, speaker and someone turning the controls. I have heard a few EL84 amps that sound quiet fender BlackFace era.
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby Jules-RM » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 am

Total fiction.

My main amp is a Crate V3112, it's kind of a Vox AC30 clone without the top boost. I actually prefer it over a Vox (St. Louis Crates are sooo much better than the brand's rep). It's EL84. My LTD SR(s) and Super Sport absolutely love it. I've gone though a ton of dirt pedals in the last year, and the Barbers consistently give me a good sound. That particular amp is mid heavy, so I find the flatter EQ'ed pedals work better.

David Barber wrote:It was a misquote, low gain pedals are the easiest to match to amps.

That does fit in with my experience. I tend to stack my Barbers and a vol boost to get into mid gain territory, not much higher. I prefer note definition to sludge.

Rats also stack magnificently well with Barbers, I have a 1983 Rat I use whenever I miss really high gain stuff.

How do you like your Dirty Bomb?
Jules-RM

Postby Joe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:43 am

RussB wrote:I read on the internet (so it MUST be true!) that the LTD doesn't work well with EL84 powered tube amps.

fact or fiction? are all el84 amps the same?

As Dave said, I must've misquoted him, but that's honestly what I remember from my phone call.

I have no irks with Dave or his business, I own three of his pedals, I was innocently trying to just help someone out. The assumption does seem weak in retrospect(I know it is the amp circuit/speakers/PU's/playing style will most profoundly affect tone, not output tubes alone. an AC30 doesn't sound like a Marshall1974), but I just remember Dave saying something along the lines of that(whether he did or not), I have no intent to start internet rumours and such(despite what it proved to be).

I posted a longer response on TGP as well.
Joe

Postby ringmod » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:47 am

My LTD sounds killer with my Maz 18 (EL84s).
ringmod

Postby benlevy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:43 pm

One of my amps is a cheap Crate V32, and the LTDsr works fine with it. Just try it, guarantee you the pedal is cheaper than any el84 amp you have, and if you just don't like the tone, you will not have trouble selling any Barber pedals...
Godin LGX, 83 Explorer, 66 firebird, other junk axes
Barber pedals: TP, BUEQ, LTDsr Other: who cares?
66 Bassman head -> Bogner OS212 cab; Crate V32 head -> Egnater 212 convertable cab
http://openroadrocks.com
benlevy

Postby notyalcer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:35 pm

I use a LTD SR with a Mesa Maverick with EL84s and it sounds absolutely killer. It's my primary overdrive for 90% of my overdrive needs and always sounds fantastic with this amp.
07 American Strat w/DiMarzio Areas, 52RI Tele, into Turbo Tuner, MXR Phase 90 Block modded for TB, LTD SR, Small Fry, BSIAB II, Dual Looper with Digitech Chorus Factory & Digitech Hardwire DL-8, Tone Press, AMZ Minibooster, into Mesa Maverick 2x12 combo
notyalcer

Return to Barber pedals