Tone Press, something's wrong, me?

Discuss standard production effect pedals

Tone Press, something's wrong, me?

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 am

Hi all,
I recently picked up a Tone Press. I bought from a friend w/o trying it since I've loved other Barber pedals.

Here is the rub, I cannot dial in anything besides a lo-blend, lightly compressed signal at the same level as is bypassed without noise.

I've never liked comp pedals and preferred my rack comps but thought, hey this is a Barber!

To add to the mix: mogami cables, proper 9v into furman, humbucker guitar

Thoughts? Is it just the nature of the beast as are most comps?
Guitars:Jackson SLSMG,Am St Tele,Strat,Epi Dot,A-Y WY1,Parker Fly Dlx
Amps:Custom Fargen,64 VibroVerb,68 Dual Showman Rvb,74 Bandmaster Rvb
Cabs:2x12+1x15 w/Weber Neos,2x12 Cannabis Rex
FX:Presonus Eureka,Serrano Picoso,Emma DiscumBOBulator,Barber LTD SR,Maxon PH-350,Deeelay
Misc:GCX&GroundLink,Shure SLX Wireless,Mogami & LiveWire
strumminsix

Re: Tone Press, something's wrong, me?

Postby David Barber » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm

strumminsix wrote:Hi all,
I recently picked up a Tone Press. I bought from a friend w/o trying it since I've loved other Barber pedals.

Here is the rub, I cannot dial in anything besides a lo-blend, lightly compressed signal at the same level as is bypassed without noise.

I've never liked comp pedals and preferred my rack comps but thought, hey this is a Barber!

To add to the mix: mogami cables, proper 9v into furman, humbucker guitar

Thoughts? Is it just the nature of the beast as are most comps?

Lets say you set the Tone Press to unity, with 12 o'clock blend and 12 o'clock sustain but turn your guitar volume all the way down and have no other effects plugged in, amp 100% clean like your playing through your hi fi set, how much noise then?

When you get a chance could you update your signature to include you equipment? and if you have a link to a sound file please add that too. We are really trying our best to keep this a "players forum" where people can hear and understand other players needs well enough to give and get help...something other forums lack, a simple reference point. :D
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
http://www.barberelectronics.com/sounds.html
http://www.barberelectronics.com/pickuptest.htm
http://www.barberelectronics.com
David Barber

Postby strumminsix » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:05 pm

David Barber wrote:Lets say you set the Tone Press to unity, with 12 o'clock blend and 12 o'clock sustain but turn your guitar volume all the way down and have no other effects plugged in, amp 100% clean like your playing through your hi fi set, how much noise then?

Amp set to pristine clean - think Twin on 3. Modified jackson slsmg w/pearly gates > mogami cable > amp = AWESOMENESS!
Inserted TP using well tested livewire cables. TP is the only FX run off this wall wart which is plugged into furman power conditioner.
TP is set 12,12,12. TP is off. No noise. TP clicked on and volume drops, slight hiss and tone gets muddier due to level dropping at the preamp (like rolling off volume knob).

Checked inside and the internal non-pot is up and down (untouched) and the internal pot is all the way clock-wise.

Guitar volume at 10 hiss. Guitar volume at half lower hiss. Will try 0 at home and even disconnecting the guitar.

David Barber wrote:When you get a chance could you update your signature to include you equipment? and if you have a link to a sound file please add that too. We are really trying our best to keep this a "players forum" where people can hear and understand other players needs well enough to give and get help...something other forums lack, a simple reference point. :D

Okay, sig done. and myspace link in profile.
FX:Presonus Eureka,Serrano Picoso,Emma DiscumBOBulator,Barber LTD SR,Maxon PH-350,Deeelay
strumminsix

Postby David Barber » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:38 pm

strumminsix wrote:
David Barber wrote:Lets say you set the Tone Press to unity, with 12 o'clock blend and 12 o'clock sustain but turn your guitar volume all the way down and have no other effects plugged in, amp 100% clean like your playing through your hi fi set, how much noise then?

Amp set to pristine clean - think Twin on 3. Modified jackson slsmg w/pearly gates > mogami cable > amp = AWESOMENESS!
Inserted TP using well tested livewire cables. TP is the only FX run off this wall wart which is plugged into furman power conditioner.
TP is set 12,12,12. TP is off. No noise. TP clicked on and volume drops, slight hiss and tone gets muddier due to level dropping at the preamp (like rolling off volume knob).

Checked inside and the internal non-pot is up and down (untouched) and the internal pot is all the way clock-wise.

Guitar volume at 10 hiss. Guitar volume at half lower hiss. Will try 0 at home and even disconnecting the guitar.

David Barber wrote:When you get a chance could you update your signature to include you equipment? and if you have a link to a sound file please add that too. We are really trying our best to keep this a "players forum" where people can hear and understand other players needs well enough to give and get help...something other forums lack, a simple reference point. :D

What brand is the power adaptor? does this happen with a battery, are there any other effects PLUGGED IN?

Are there any active electronics in your guitar?
PRS SE One, PRS SE EG, PRS McCarty rosewood neck, Anderson Hollow T, Anderson Hollow Classic, Hamer Artist, Fender Strats and Teles, All Barber Pedals, Barber Echelon, Barber Energy cab.
David Barber

Postby strumminsix » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 am

David Barber wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

What brand is the power adaptor? does this happen with a battery, are there any other effects PLUGGED IN?

Are there any active electronics in your guitar?

No other FX. Firsts step with any new pedal are to: tune up off-line, check amp sounds good w/o FX, and only new pedal in-line. No Hawthorne effect there.

No active electronics. I find they sound less natural than I'd prefer. I don't like SS amps and I don't like SS preamps in my guitar!

Using 1-spot power adapter, tested with other pedals fined and with a fresh duracell batery that tests just fine on a multi-ohm meter.
strumminsix

Postby David Barber » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Did you ever try turning the guitar all the way down? Do you have access to a telephone?
David Barber

Postby strumminsix » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

David Barber wrote:Did you ever try turning the guitar all the way down? Do you have access to a telephone?

David, been offline for a few. Haven't tried it all the way down yet. Yes, I've got a phone!
strumminsix

Return to Barber pedals